My 750L build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 750L build thread

Alright, well I thought I would join everyone else and start a build thread of my own. But before we get to the build, let me give you some background information.

I was cruising craigslist for a cheap beater bike for the winter here, and that's when I found the ad for the my bike. It was listed for $150 and at the price I thought, how could I pass that up. The ad said it needed some work, but I thought, for $150, what the heck. Man if I only knew what I was getting myself in to. Ever since getting this bike, it's consumed my whole life. My room is a complete mess with bike parts everywhere. I think about working on this bike all day long. And in a couple of weeks, I'll be taking some welding classes, all because of this bike. It's pretty exciting.

Okay now that that's out of the way, it's on to the bike. When I picked it up, the PO had removed most of the parts off of the bike with the intention of chopping it. The engine was partially disassembled to replace a leaky base gasket and the frame was left outside to rot away. I've spent many hours scraping the rust away and I still have a long way to go. He also chopped off the rear seat rails so that's why I'm learning to weld. Well I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go with this bike but it won't be anything too radical.

Now for the pics.

How it looked when I picked it up

Only 18000 miles

Bike stripped down and now in my room (I know...I need a garage)

A rough draft of what I think it will look like when done (subject to change with out notice)

More pics to come in the future.
    -Theo

Theo,

Looks like your making steady progress on the bike. Looking forward to seeing it come along.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I like your plan of where you want to go with the bike, and I totally know what you mean when you say 'subject to change without notice'

Comment

looking good, I like that front end on the draft

Comment

Originally posted by Richharr View Post
          looking good, I like that front end on the draft
          Haha...yeah I stole that from your bike (good eye). Hope you don't mind . And thanks to all for the compliments.

Comment

I have a clean set of forks for that bike if you want. Also a clean lower triple clamp cover.

Comment

Alright...well I got some things done this past week so I thought I would share. I reworked my gauge mount to put the tach and speedo closer together. I put some harley turn signals on so now I will have running lights. And the biggest thing of all is I was able to use someones garage and I stripped the whole frame of paint. Oh and a big thanks goes out to tarbash for supplying me with the awesome forks you see in the pictures.

Stock gauges (so far apart)

Where I cut (also stripped the paint and rounded the edges before I took the pic)

Flipped them around

Much better

Drilled out the hole for the side reflectors to fit an 8mm bolt

On the bike

frame before

after (also chopped off the passenger peg rails)

And a quick mock up

Comment

Oh and after some searching on the internets, I found the original for sale ad for my bike from 2005. This is how the bike looked before the PO started tearing in to it.

Comment

Looks like you have already sunk a bunch of time into this project!
                  I can see where you are going with this bike, and I like it!
                  Keep up the good work, and keep posting pics!

Comment

love the bike man! gives me alot of ideas of what to do to mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
                      Looks like you have already sunk a bunch of time into this project!
                      I can see where you are going with this bike, and I like it!
                      Keep up the good work, and keep posting pics!
                      Originally posted by 504-Ranger View Post
                      love the bike man! gives me alot of ideas of what to do to mine!
                      Wow thank you both for the compliments. You know, I honestly didn't think anyone would think much of what I was doing so it's nice to hear the opposite. Yeah I've put a lot of time and effort in to this bike. This is pretty much what I do in my free time. Also, every time I think I'm getting closer, I can think of 10 more things that need to be done. But isn't that how it always is. Thanks again for the kudos.
                      -Theo
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Keep up the hard work theo!!
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

do it! good improvement for sure.

Comment

I can't believe it's been almost one month since I last updated this thread. Well it's sad to say that I haven't really done much since then. The bike still sits the way it does in my last post. I just finished another round of stocking up on parts and now have almot everything I will need to complete the bike. Just have to save a few more paychecks until I can finish off the list of things to buy. I've also started earlier this month taking a metal working / welding class so I'll hopefully be making things for my bike soon.

What I've done since my last update:
                            - stripped most of the paint off the gas tank and discovered i had more than the one dent. Whatever paint the PO used, it's really tough and makes a gigantic mess. Not good to do indoors.
                            - Tried to bondo said dents, but discovered bondo really smells and shouldn't be done indoors. I'l have to wait until the weather gets warmer before I can finish.
                            - Went through a polishing phase and polished the brake and clutch lever, the handlebar clamps, the carb tops and float bowls, and the signal cover. I'm not really sure what I'm doing different from the last time I polished, but without even trying to, I was getting mirror shines on them.
                            - Started on the re-wiring of my bike. It's slow going because every time I start, I get really tired and fall asleep.
                            - Started making the seat pan
                            - Mounted the coils. Had to make a bracket for them because they just wouldn't fit in the stock location
                            - Bought a set of thread chasers and cleaned up all of the threads.

As you can tell, I'm listing things just to make it seem like I've been more productive than I actually was.

Polishing:

chopped the ball off. Did the same for the clutch lever. Now I have no balls.

Things I should be doing soon:
                            - Making my own handlebar switch controls
                            - Making my own dash gauge set up
                            - And trying to make a fake oil tank to put my battery and electrics in:
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

like the progress, but I get stuck on the sprung seat, kind of weird on a sprung bike. just my opinion.

here a couple to ponder

Comment

Working...
                              X