My OFFICIAL "Broken Promise" thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My OFFICIAL "Broken Promise" thread.

If some of ya'll have read my post in the Owners scetion, thanks. If not, here's a quick recap. I bought an 82 650G 2 years ago now for very little. She needed tires and a battery to get on the road. That winter, I stripped her down and painted her. See the pic below. So, now I'm really starting to customize to make her perfect.

SO I bought a 140 mph speedo from Salty monk and mocked it up. I tried to use the speedo and cluster but the mounting bracket wouldn't work. So I painted the speedo ring then mocked up the speedo. I loved the way it looks. Some fine tweeking and it'll be perminate. I also painted the cluster but ya really can't tell. More pics to come. And b4 anyone says anything, the bars in the pic are GONE!!! I have a set of Daytona Superbars on it now.

Comment

So I'm a bit of an idiot. I was so concerned with getting speedo to work with my OG bracket I didn't try the bracket that came with the cluster.
      MAN it looks better than the stock cluster!!! Now I need the matching tach. Everything plugs in with no problem (even the digital shifter). I will need to fabricate 2 turn signal indicater lights for the cluster and figure out something to do about the fuel guage. Maybe remove it all together. Not sure yet.

Comment

i dont think youll need to put turn signal indicators on it. you should be able to see the signals from the seat.

Comment

I think signal indicators have a connection to the relay so I think you will need something but don't quote me. Looks like a clean 650! Interested to see how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by piester View Post
            i dont think youll need to put turn signal indicators on it. you should be able to see the signals from the seat.
            Since I installed a new set of mini turn signals up front and they have a brighter bulb, yes I can see them from the seat. But since it's in the cluster I'd like to make them functional. The rough mock up I did worked ok. After I recover fully from my birthday last night, I'll get back to work.

Comment

Yesterday I found the correct tach to mount into the new cluster. Tach looks great but the fuel gauge has seen better days. I'll post pics later today of the progress. I also installed my new Daytona Super bike bars and i can't wait till it stops raining and the salt is off the road to take a ride. The look great and feel good.

I did get the time to fix a few oil leaks and still goin through everything else. Like I said, pics to come later today.

Comment

As promised, here are the newest pics of my lil 650.

Here is of the cluster and Super bike bars.

Comment

Old bars just set on to show the differance.

Comment

Close up of the cluster.

I mounted my cup holder to make sure it didn't hit the tank. And it dosen't. I really can't wait to try these bars out.

Comment

That is not the same as the original tach - original didn't have a fuel gauge in it. Looks good though!

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So today I pulled the valve cover off to replace the gasket (leaking). Not posting pics of that cuz the gasket replacement isn't all that exciting. But I am posting a pic of the side cover bagdes. I painted the G red on both badges to be a lil different. Not all that fancy but I like it. I used Dupli-color Scratch Fix paint pen (GM Bright Red) to fill it in.

Comment

So I went a lil paint happy today. As I was tryin to polish the valve cover, it wasn't workin out too well. It just wouldn't take the polishing compound no matter what I did. So instead of gettin too frustrated, I decided to paint it. Here it is all primed and ready for sanding. Painting will more than likely have to wait till tomorrow after work.

Comment

Looking good Bill,

What color are you painting the valve cover? Please, oh please, tell me it's not going hot pink!

JK, I can't wait to see the bike all ready to go!

Keep up the great work!

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
                              Looking good Bill,

What color are you painting the valve cover? Please, oh please, tell me it's not going hot pink!

JK, I can't wait to see the bike all ready to go!

Keep up the great work!

LOL I actually plan on painting it black or textured metal flake. I painted my starter cover with the textured metal paint ant it looks good. Think I'm gonna go the same route with the valve cover. It'll hopefully be a nice compliment to a polished motor.

Thanks for the words of incouragement Mac.

Comment

Working...
                              X