Road advice, Washington/Idaho/Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road advice, Washington/Idaho/Montana

Planning a trip in late May early June, me and my co-pilot. Will leave from Victoria and so far that's all I have planned. Have never ridden across the border only a car trip down the coast to Northern Cal. Would like to do senic roads with nice stops for the girlfriend. Through Washington maybe Idaho or Montana. Not going to be a milage trip, nice scenary with interesting stops. Any tips/advice would be great.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

I drove hwy 12 across Idaho in a truck at night. Good road but all I saw was critters running in front of me. Ive heard its a great MC road in the daylight.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The all time favourite of mine is the Cascade Hwy #20. Find Sedro Wooley just south of Bellingham and head east. It'll take you clear across Washington and almost to the Idaho border. It's quite often closed in the winter so check road conditions online as you're travelling fairly early in the season. The later you go the better they could still get the odd mountain snow storm in May at higher elevations. Worth the ride though.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

That's kinda early in the season, so I hope you have electric gear. You have to remember that Montana is going to be 5,000'+ and it can be frikken cold up there.

Here's a good link for Washington and Oregon

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
          The all time favourite of mine is the Cascade Hwy #20. Find Sedro Wooley just south of Bellingham and head east. It'll take you clear across Washington and almost to the Idaho border.
          That's a very cool road but it may not be open across the Cascades yet. If so US 2 is a pretty good ride, once over the mountains you can go back up.

I don't know how much snow you guys have in the mountains this year, if it's open that hwy 20 is a very nice ride.
          Last edited by tkent02; 02-08-2010, 10:18 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

+4 on your dates sounding early for that trip. If you can move the dates back a bit glacier national park and the going to the sun road are awsome for your copilot but you will have to watch the road. 8^( If you can't move the dates maybe down the coast on the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I don't know how much snow you guys have in the mountains this year, if it's open that hwy 20 is a very nice ride.
              Sno pack is pretty low so far this year, but you never know.

A few years ago it was really low, then it started raining at the end of March with low freezing level for about 6 weeks. Lots of snow and water that year

AZR, basically you'll have to monitor the road situation as your dates get closer. If you're flexible, you can head south, lots of good roads you probably missed last time.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the Link, Mr T.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                That's kinda early in the season, so I hope you have electric gear. You have to remember that Montana is going to be 5,000'+ and it can be frikken cold up there.

Here's a good link for Washington and Oregon

http://www.motorcyclingpnw.com/
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                X