'79 GS550L, can I swap carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS550L, can I swap carbs?

So I have an opportunity to pick up a '79 550E parts bike for a hundred bucks. It's pretty complete minus seat, airbox & grips. Engine was supposedly running previously, but it's got the later style carbs on it.
    Question 1: Can I use (after cleaning & such of course) the later carbs on mine? Question 2: Anybody know how difficult it is to get rid of the remains of the bike after I'm done with it? I don't really have any experience with getting rid of parts vehicles, I usually just deal with running ones...

Thanks!

If the parts bike is truly a "79 model then somebody has put a later model cylinder head on the motor. I would suggest that the parts bike is probably a 1980 model which came with a different head and the CV type "BS" vacuum carbs.

If you want to put the later model carbs on your '79 bike then you will have to swap the cylinder head over with it.

Check some other things on both bikes to check for other differences. You need to verify the model and not just take the PO's word for it that it is a '79 model.

The other major difference between these two models is the type of ignition. The '79 has contact points and condensors and the '80 model has electronic ignition with igniter, etc. So check behind the ignition cover on the right hand side of the motor. The ignition runs off the end of the crankshaft.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2010, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Sorry I forgot question 2: I see you are in California and as more than half of the GS forum members live in California, haha, I'm sure someone would be happy to take the remains of the bike even if it is just the frame.

Comment

Interesting. It's at the local shop here and they're moving so giving some pretty good deals. I checked on the VIN plate up front and it most definitely claims to be a '79, so I guess that means the carbs & head have been switched. Sounds to me that for a hundred bucks I might as well go for it. Mine's being rather problematic, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm losing cylinder 1, getting a bit of oil on the plug. Spare engine might not hurt...

Comment

You can't go wrong at $100. There would be other parts you could use or sell on to other members, or even EBAY then if you have no use for them.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2010, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agreendaya View Post
            I checked on the VIN plate up front and it most definitely claims to be a '79, ...
            Are you sure?

REALLY sure?

Bikes made from about 9/79 and later will actually be 1980 models. What was the production date of your bike?

Another clue would be the letter at the end of the model name stamped on the steering neck. A '79 bike would have an N, the '80 will have a T.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X