Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 GS450L Carb Mixture Screws...Can't Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS450L Carb Mixture Screws...Can't Buy?

Went to Suzuki dealer today, they say there's no part orderable to replace the fuel/air mixture screw. They say its not in the fiche. I need two of them, because mine won't come out and I think I am going to have to drill them out. Any thoughts? I thought it was #50 on the parts shark fiche here, but it's a different screw.

part 50 is for the choke lever....im having trouble finding the same screw myself

Comment

Usually you can get them in the carb rebuild kits by K & L
      Check ebay or any of the online vendors

Comment

Cut a new slot with a Dremmel and heat it up with a torch. It'll come out and you should be able reuse them. (Strip the carbs first)
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A friend suggested I can blow it out with an air compressor from the other side. Going to give that a shot in the morning

Comment

Blow out a screw with air? I'd like to see that
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by exbellicus View Post
              A friend suggested I can blow it out with an air compressor from the other side. Going to give that a shot in the morning
              Where did he read that, in a comic strip!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don
                Where did he read that, in a comic strip!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Worth repeating?

Comment

Had a similar issue when I rebuilt the carbs on mine. The fiche on bike bandit doesn't show the mixture screw, but when I went to the dealership it showed it on their fiche. Thankfully Jethro here saved me by sending me one. Had to send two since the first was lost by the USPS. I'd say go back to the dealership and see if they'll let you see what is on the screen. Otherwise ask here or search ebay for a set of parts carbs.

Brad bk

Comment

Well this is the mixture screw, and I'm sure it is already past the threads it is just stuck in there, I think it might just be the seal is making a suction.

Comment

The GS450 uses BS34 carbs like the GS1000 right?

You should be able to use 2 of the 80 GS1000L carb kits from Z1..
                      They come with new pilot screws. Just re-use your old jets as I doubt the GS1000 set would be the same.

Robert Barr also has an O ring kit for the 450's

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                        Usually you can get them in the carb rebuild kits by K & L
                        Check ebay or any of the online vendors
                        No luck on finding a carb kit

I've got an o-ring kit from robert. Carbs have already been dipped and all o-rings have been replaced besides these.

Comment

Originally posted by exbellicus View Post
                          Well this is the mixture screw, and I'm sure it is already past the threads it is just stuck in there, I think it might just be the seal is making a suction.
                          Not sure what you mean by "already past the threads" So, you unscrewed it all the way out, however, it still won't come out of the tunnel ? If you can unscrew it enough to clear the threads, perhaps you can grab it with a small pair of needle nose pliers. Honestly, it shouldn't be that difficult to get it out if it's unscrewed. All the ones I've done just fall out.

There shouldn't be any suction on this screw.
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yea Larry I've turned and turned them both, tried pulling out with pliers but the hole is too tight to get anything in there. I'm thinking I drill a tiny hole in the screw from the top and pull it straight out, so it would be reusable.

Comment

Weird....are they BS34 carbs ?

If you do try a drill, you're going to need a reverse cut bit, also known as a left-handed bit. They are designed to cut as the drill turns left. Otherwise, you're going to drill it back down into the tunnel.

Let me think on this one for a minute.......

EDIT:: Can you post a picture or two.
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X