A couple 'newbie' carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple 'newbie' carb questions

First let me say what a great website this is! I have a couple questions I haven't found on any threads yet. I have an '83 GS550L which starts but won't idle. I adjusted the valves, tore apart the carb, and I am in the process of doing the carb dip. My Haynes manual shows a small fuel strainer attached to the bottom of the needle jet seat. My carbs did not have the strainers in them when I took them apart. I ordered some, but I am wondering if someone took them out for a reason (ie. clogging all the time). Should I put new ones back in, or leave them out??
    My next question involves replacing all the exterior carb screws with stainless allen head screws. The phillips screws were a bear to get out, so I figured allen screws would be better. This seems like a 'no-brainer' but, are there any potential problems that could arise from putting stainless screws on the exterior of the carbs?
    Thanks in advanced for any input!

Before buying inlet valve screens make sure the ones you have aren't aftermarket.
    Post a pic
    I have a bunch of those screens I would of sent you.
    SS allen bolts are a great idea. Use anti-seize on them so they don't react with the aluminum.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I ordered the strainers from Babbits so they should be OEM parts. I will install them when I get 'em. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

I meant the float seat itself was stock.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I ordered new seats and needles as well, just to be safe. I wish I would have waited, and tried to find some on this site. Babbit's seems a little pricey. $$ Thanks again....

Comment

Working...
          X