Sorry, but where's my mixture adjustment? 79 550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, but where's my mixture adjustment? 79 550L

So my bike is fouling plugs like there's no tomorrow. Seems like it should be an easy thing to fix, but where's the adjustment? Can't seem to find anything in my Clymer manual or on the forum here, maybe I'm just bad at searching, but everything I found applies to the BS carbs.
    Thanks!

Hi,

Is your air filter in good shape? Not over-oiled or anything? Here are a few things I've collected on my little website:

VM Carb Tuning Guide

VM Carburetor Rebuild Guide
    (Courtesy of GSR and Paul Musser)

Suzuki GS Series Carb Specs

I hope you find something that helps. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ahh...air filter....guy I bought it from put on "pods". He called 'em K&N, turns out they're really Unifilter. I've got a K&N filter on my car, I suppose maybe I could use that cleaning stuff to clean & oil 'em, though they look alright to me.

Thanks for the links, I'll check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by agreendaya View Post
        Ahh...air filter....guy I bought it from put on "pods". He called 'em K&N, turns out they're really Unifilter. I've got a K&N filter on my car, I suppose maybe I could use that cleaning stuff to clean & oil 'em, though they look alright to me.

Thanks for the links, I'll check that out.
        I'm assuming this bike is fairly new to you? If so, you may have some work ahead of you. Switching from an airbox to pods generally requires substantial jetting changes, and either a lot of trial and error or dyno time to get right. The odds are good that the PO did NOT get it right, and you'll have to figure it out.

If you have had the bike a while and it was running right before your current problem isn't jetting. Might be float height, might be electrical.

Comment

Yeah, I did pretty recently buy it. Is it worth the effort to re-jet, or is it possible to pick up a stock airbox? I'm not really all too interested in performance or anything, reliability is more of my concern, and if that means switching back to the old style airbox, works for me.

It runs pretty well except at idle, nice and smooth with plenty of power, but likes to die at idle. I'm pretty sure this is just intake o-rings, I was able to replace 3, but the one on cylinder 3 I couldn't get off due to crappy screws stripping out. Going to borrow a dremel and see if I can get it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by agreendaya View Post
            Yeah, I did pretty recently buy it. Is it worth the effort to re-jet, or is it possible to pick up a stock airbox? I'm not really all too interested in performance or anything, reliability is more of my concern, and if that means switching back to the old style airbox, works for me.

It runs pretty well except at idle, nice and smooth with plenty of power, but likes to die at idle. I'm pretty sure this is just intake o-rings, I was able to replace 3, but the one on cylinder 3 I couldn't get off due to crappy screws stripping out. Going to borrow a dremel and see if I can get it like that.
            Personally, I'd go back to stock if possible. You may have to get stock jets if the PO changed them. It will make your life much easier in the long run. It's a good idea to go COMPLETELY through the carbs to make sure they're clean, if you haven't done that already. Half measures with the carb cleaning will come back to haunt you. DAMHIK,IJK.

Comment

Working...
            X