CV Carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Carb Question

I have a 1980 GS1000 with carbs that need rebuilding. When I pulled the intakes off the engine, not only did I have lousy O rings, but there were gaskets between the intakes and the heads. I have searched the sights and only find mention of replacing the O rings. Did the previous owner try to make a quick fix or are there suppose to be gaskets as well as the O rings?

Crazyrnus

There should be no gaskets, only o rings. Some guys cut gaskets to use instead of using the o rings, usually they work. Thick paper gaskets should be fine for a while. Done a few to avoid waiting a week for o rings, they never leaked.
    Last edited by tkent02; 02-14-2010, 05:22 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sounds to me like a quick and dirty fix kinda like what my dumbass buddy did to another buddy's carbs. The carb float bowls came with o-rings which were squished so he glued them back on with gasket cement......after I told him not to.

Get yourself in contact with Mr. Barr. Get some new Os and but them back to rights.

To double check of course you can look up the manual on Cliff's excellent site if you don't have a hard copy. Fantastic resource too for tutorials on all the necessary tidy up projects.

Goods luck with it and post some pics when you can.

Cheers,
      spyug

Comment

cv carby inlets.......

hi,,, i,ve just recently replaced the "o" rings in the inlet flange...and thats all they have,,and you can still get the o rings from suzuki.... regards david

Comment

Originally posted by lesliew51@hotmail.com View Post
          ... and you can still get the o rings from suzuki.... regards david
          Yes, you can, but ...

From Cycle Parts Nation, usually one of the least expensive suppliers, the o-rings are $6.88, plus $18.50 for UPS ground shipping.

From cycleorings.com (our fellow member Robert Barr), the o-rings are $3.50, including shipping, plus PayPal fees, if you use PayPal.

Not a very fair comparison, is it?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I second the motion to get the o-rings from Mr. Barr - I ordered 2 sets.

Comment

Working...
            X