An update on Wee Beastie II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An update on Wee Beastie II

I've been taking advantage of this first long weekend of the year and have been going hammer and tong at the Kat project.

So far this weekend I have finished the fork rebuild and installed them , the clip-ons, fork brace and wheel with new rubber,rear wheel and new chain. I have painted some of the body work and will be painting the tank later today. As I'm waiting for my decals and the hardner for my clearcoat I won't be able to finish the body work until later in the week.

This afternoon I will reassemble and install the brake calipers with fresh pads.There is some major house reno work being done over the next few days so I might not get back to it for awhile but I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I think I can likely have it ready for road testing in a couple of weeks and that will put me ahead of schedule....for a change ( and touch wood).

Here's where I'm at right now:

At this point of the project I find it easier to keep going as it once again resembles a bike and the urge to ride it is building up. Now we just need to get ride of that messy snow.

Cheers all,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2010, 03:48 PM.

is your header painted?

Comment

Yes the header is painted with VHT ceramic header paint. The paint is actually not adhereing all that well as the header (Yoshimura) is stainless steel. It was quite rusty and banged up but I was able to get most of the rust off and a few dents banged out. As it wasn't really presentable, I opted for a cheapo paint job.

If circumstances permit I would change the header and tail pipe for something in better condition. Unfortunately, these pipes don't come up that often and when they do they get snagged pretty quick.

Hopefully it will stand up for a little while at least.

cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

You don't mind if I wolf-whistle your ride do you?

She's looking good! That frame looks like it just rolled off of the factory floor! Nicely done Sir!

How are the Spyug Plugs holding up to further testing?
        Keep up the good work.

Comment

Thanks Mac but I can't take any credit for the frame it came from the PO that way (powdercoated). When I first saw it, it helped convince me to buy the project as it was one big thing I didn't need to contend with.

As I've been busy getting the brakes and forks rebuilt I haven't run the mill in awhile so no change to the Spyug plugs. I was toying with the idea of painting the orange to silver but I'm working on a new version using some cheapo pods modified to be more effective.

I've got the tank undercoated today and will try and get the colour on in the next day or so. Once the decals come (hopefully this week) in I'll get them mounted and do the clear and that will be one more thing out of the way.

I'll mount the brake masters in the next day or so and bleed the brakes then its just mounting the lights and horns.

It would be good to be able get a road test and then have it in for a cert before the season starts. With the weather the way its been recently, that might be a few weeks away yet however.

I'm getting keen to get riding ( aren't we all?) but I guess we can't rush it but here's hoping we get an early spring.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

pospalyr has painted Yosh headers with success.
            I also saw his trials. Pretty cool to watch paint just bubble away and fall off with the first start. Not to him though.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The paint on the headers didn't burn off when I fired it up but when some oil squirted on it it rubbed off easily. I had also painted the engine block with it and when some gas dripped from the carbs it sloughed off easily.

What I found strange is that I have used the same stuff on other projects and it stood up well to gas and oil. Change in formulation maybe.

I'm going to have to repaint the block so the hunt will be on now for a better paint.

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

Working...
              X