Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carburetor balance tools (knowledge so far and continued discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor balance tools (knowledge so far and continued discussion)

My intro post sort of ended up morphing into this topic so I decided to summarize what has been said over there here and continue the discussion here.

The initial question was can you build your own manometer and where do you get the fittings for the balancing holes?

Here is the parts that can be ordered for the purpose:

FITTINGS:
    5 mm fittings: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3263
    6 mm fittings: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3262
    The other suggestion is to buy the proper tap set and tap 3/16" barbed fittings.
    These fitting sizes vary bike by bike but the manometer should be the same for all 4 carburetor bikes.

MANOMETERS:
    Manometer: http://www.carbtune.com/

Here is a rather nice photo of a home made manometer:

The basic principle behind these home made manometers is that you have a tube for each carburetor connected by 'T' and 'L' joints at the bottom filled halfway with fluid. It is important to notice that the bottom of this is fully sealed making it measure the pressure of one cylinder against the others so you don't need a 26 ft tall barometer style thing. When these are connected to the proper balancing holes the level of the fluid in the tubes will be higher for the carbs with more suction and lower for carbs with less, you can then adjust the carburetor using whatever procedure is best for the bike. It is important while using this type of manometer that you use a type of fluid that will not destroy your engine if one of the fittings comes loose and the rest of the fluid gets sucked in or if your carburettor is way out of balance (it is still important to minimize the amount of fluid that gets into the engine even if it is oil). The consensus so far is some kind of engine oil or other type of oil. It sounds like the carburetors need to be within 2 cm Hg of eachother meaning about 10.6 inches of H2O which is about 13 inches of oil since oil is less dense than water (it probably doesn't hurt to get them closer) but the tubes should be at the very least this tall and probably a lot taller since the carbs may be much more out of balance than that (taller tubes make for a smaller chance of sucking fluid into the engine due to imbalance).

I think i have all the information summarized here. If I missed anything let me know.

Thanks to the following users for answering questions about the setup.
    BassCliff
    glstine
    Skateguy50

I sort of agree with the theory about having a sealed system, but you mention that you should have about 13" of height for oil. If, for example, one of your carbs is off a bit and there is not much vacuum, the gauge shown in the picture will allow what appears to be 3" of travel to the bottom, then the other cylinders will be trying to suck air instead of oil, and would quickly drain the gauge.

Just an opinion and a guess, as I have not tried this.

But, for what it's worth, my set of mercury "sticks" have a vented reservoir, but the mercury is heavy enough to allow that.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

DIY port adapters...

Last edited by Nessism; 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I am pretty Macgyver (see recent post) but bought a set of cheap gauges. They stow neatly in the included case and have a wide assortment of adapters included. This is after I built a 6 gauge set for tuning KZ1300's. Gauges with valves to fine tune needle damping work quite well for me.
        PS nice work on the adapters nessism.

Comment

Oh a plastic ball floating on the oil in each tube should stop the engine from sucking out the oil in the event of a bad unbalence?

Comment

Whilst the first manometer is clever, there's a lot of room for inaccuracy / leaks with all the joins and pipes. Here's the one I made:

Yes you can only do 2 carbs at a time, but it only has 1 piece of tubing (so no joins / leaks).

It is simple and accurate.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Steve, I may not have said this clearly enough but what I meant is that the carburetors need to be within 13" of oil of each other this would be preposterously short for the full manometer. Mercury is really the perfect fluid for these things at 13.5 g/cc as opposed to oil which is 0.78 g/cc or water at 1g/cc. Unfortunately the term mad as a hatter originates from the misuse of this substance and now you cant find it anywhere except well sealed labs and old equipment.

Nice adapters Nessism. Did you use a lathe to get the holes centered like that or just mad drill press skills?

Comment

Where did you find these nice T and L fittings shown at the bottom of your manometer? I have often looked for these ... without much success.
                2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                s)

Comment

Plastic T's L's etc can be found at your local pet shop..
                  They are available in different sizes and are used for fish tanks.

John

Comment

So I am bouncing around the idea of buying the carbtune one, building one or just borrowing one. What I am wondering is how often does this need to be done to a bike? is it a once every 10 years sort of thing or is it something that should be done with each oil change? Also is this something that needs to be done to newer bikes as well or is it just for old bikes with multiple carburetors? And finally has anyone ordered off this carbtune web page, their checkout process seems a little sketchy?

Comment

I may have bought the same one. The hardware, etc. is excellent, but the gages are not too good. It has worked great though.

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
                      I am pretty Macgyver (see recent post) but bought a set of cheap gauges. They stow neatly in the included case and have a wide assortment of adapters included. This is after I built a 6 gauge set for tuning KZ1300's. Gauges with valves to fine tune needle damping work quite well for me.
                      PS nice work on the adapters nessism.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by skizm View Post
                        So I am bouncing around the idea of buying the carbtune one, building one or just borrowing one. What I am wondering is how often does this need to be done to a bike? is it a once every 10 years sort of thing or is it something that should be done with each oil change? Also is this something that needs to be done to newer bikes as well or is it just for old bikes with multiple carburetors? And finally has anyone ordered off this carbtune web page, their checkout process seems a little sketchy?
                        Stock bike, just once when you buy it and again after every valve adjustment. If you are messing with intakes, pipes and jetting you need to synch with every change to anything. It only takes a couple minutes after about the sixth time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The point: I just don't see it.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein View Post
                            Plastic T's L's etc can be found at your local pet shop..
                            They are available in different sizes and are used for fish tanks.

John
                            I've been there (more than once), but have certainly not seen any as nice as these.
                            2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                            1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                            2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                            s)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              The point: I just don't see it.
                              I don't see what point you don't see, you see?

Comment

Working...
                              X