Small gouge on the carb inlet where the orings go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small gouge on the carb inlet where the orings go

Hi removed my old carb inlet boots today and as usual all the screws heads were threaded.

Had to drill and attack them to get them off.

In the process I have scratched/gouged the area where the new boots oring sits (see the picture)

The worst one is this one with the small line, around 12' oclock at the top, near in the carb inlet hole wich goes across the oring.

You can sort of make out where the old oring sat

Do you think I will still get a proper seal or will I have a leak?

The other gouges were near the screw hole. I think they should still seal ok

Here's hoping

Fill the guage with JB Weld or a good epoxy and sand it smooth.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ditto !! J.B. and smooth out...

Comment

How about slathering on some silicone when you put it together. Then reach in with your finger and wipe out any that gets squeezed into the intake hole.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
          How about slathering on some silicone when you put it together. Then reach in with your finger and wipe out any that gets squeezed into the intake hole.

Brian
          Nope. Silicone deteriorates almost instantly in the presence of heat and gasoline vapor.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You may be right about the silicone. Maybe I am thinking of some RTV gasket compound that is resistant to gas (it's been a while). I know it was standard proceedure to smear that stuff around the intake manifold surfaces when you put the intake manifold on small block chevies. It never seemed to deteriorate and made for a good seal.

Just my $.02. I am no expert.

Brian

Comment

Working...
            X