GS450 Carburetor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Carburetor question

My carbs are out...a twin Mikuni BS 34. I've got the O rings, I got new bolts to replace the ones that are stripped and in preparation, I've read carefully through the carb rebuild guide on this site and lots of carb questions and answers.

1. Are the carbs in the carb rebuild guide (for a GS850) similar enough to mine that I should be able to follow along? If not, is there another guide out there for this particular carburetor?

2. Is there a rebuild kit I should pick up? Or are the O rings enough? I've never taken apart a carburetor before...my experience is in fuel injection.

Just wanted to check those things before I plunge in.

Thanks.

Originally posted by later_aligator View Post
    My carbs are out...a twin Mikuni BS 34. I've got the O rings, I got new bolts to replace the ones that are stripped and in preparation, I've read carefully through the carb rebuild guide on this site and lots of carb questions and answers.

1. Are the carbs in the carb rebuild guide (for a GS850) similar enough to mine that I should be able to follow along? If not, is there another guide out there for this particular carburetor?

2. Is there a rebuild kit I should pick up? Or are the O rings enough? I've never taken apart a carburetor before...my experience is in fuel injection.

Just wanted to check those things before I plunge in.

Thanks.
    1. Yep..except you have 2 instead of 4....half the work !!!

2. O-rings are enough..unless you need bowls gaskets. Those are easy to get.

Be very careful removing the float pins. The posts have a tendency to snap off.
    Do you have some dip ? Most here use Berryman's, I'd leave them in there for 24 hours. Then blow some compressed air through them.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Similar enough, yes. I've rebuilt a set of four from my 650 and a set from a 450, they are different, but you should be able to rebuild them by following the carb rebuild series and using common sense. No rebuild kits are necessary, just dip and reuse the jets that are in your carb. If you happen to damage any jets during the rebuild process, you can find replacements through your local suzuki dealer, or another online source, but do try and use Mikuni jets. If you have any questions during the process just ask, these guys are super helpful. I think you'll find it easier than you thought it would be. Oh and as long as you have the carbs off, you might as well replace the o-rings under the carb boots as well, since those can be a source of lean-running issues. You can also order them from Robert. Good luck!

Comment

if you end up needing some clarification on where something went/etc.. fire me an email.. i took lots of pictures during the dissassembly of my carbs ('80 450).

i followed the carb rebuild tutorial on this site, works fine... very MINOR differences. for example, the "air screw" is in behind a brass plug that runs horizontally above the throttle plate... not where shown in the tutorial.

this is a great group to get help from, no question.. someone here is bound to know the answer(s) to your questions as you get them!

-Nate

Comment

The needle jet is an interference fit, so it will pull out (downward) from the carb body. You'll need to remove it if you intend to tank the body (highly recommended), since the dip will eat the O-ring.

In my instructions I mention using a thumbnail to slide the new O-ring on there. It might even help to practice with the old one a few times. And be certain to lube the bore before reinserting the jet.

As mentioned, you'll have to hunt a bit to find the adjustment screw, but at least you'll know where to find it when it's together & running. There's a tiny spring behind the screw, about half as long as on the 4-cylinder bikes, so be sure to watch for it.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
          X