Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

think my carb was strangely connected, any advice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think my carb was strangely connected, any advice ?

So I finally finished cleaning the carbs, I understand a bit how it works but I am puzzled
    about how it was plugged like a lot of things on my GS !

Here is a picture if someone can tell me what should be coonnected where.

So before removing it, red was main fuel, blue the reserve setting on the fuel selector.
    But absolutely nothing was plugged to the green circled parts and can someone
    tell me what is the role of the pink rubber tubes and the 4 green tubes under each
    carb, are they to get out the fuel if it's too much filed ?

Though I understand the principle of the carb it's difficult to see where all the cavities
    go in the carb.

Thanks

I'm not sure how you did that assembly, but it appears completely wrong to me

What bike is it from?

Do you have a "before" picture?

Red is fuel

Blue is the vacuum line to the petcock

The greens are vents (top) and overflows (below). Nothing required on overflows, vents depends on what your set up is (header, pods)
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Okay my bad so the fuel line is right then what you call the vacuum on the petcock is also right, i thought there was a different line for reserve.

So i dont need to plug tubes on the fuel vents that good.

Its a gs 550 by the way, so both the blue and green tube are for petcock vacuum, do they need to be both plugged on, the petcock ?

Comment

pic

here is a link to some carbs on ebay
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...Q5fAccessories

Comment

Okay I see, thanks for these pictures, it seems i crossed the 2 middle carbs.
          But if I understand how it works it's no problem, why are there tubes on the
          vents in these pictures then ?

I guess I will put tubes on the overflows so that fuel doesn't leek on the engine.

Comment

Wrong carb setup

Hi, those carbs are VM22's fit either gs550 or a kz650. I have the same set on my KZ650. It looks like you or someone else reassembled them in the wrong order. I have a picture of mine and you can see the correct order. Hope that helps if not PM me. I know these carbs inside and out. Bob

Comment

Let's compare

Hi,

Your carbs...

A properly assembled set...

You seem to have #1 and #3 where #2 and #4 should be, and vice-versa.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

But I rebuilt the carb the way it was when buying the GS, and really all 4 are driven
                by the axel mechanically the same way so there shouldn't be any concern of where
                they are, unless the connections would be impossible but this is not the case for me.

According your picture the fuel and vacuum connections are at the same position on mine.

Or am I really missing something ?

Comment

Working...
                X