carb repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb repair

i've got an 82 gs650l was cleaning the carbs and broke the ear that holds the float pin in place. thought i saw a part that could replace the ear but cant find it now. can any body help with this. wanna go to the cherokee run in april and cant find any replacement carbs close by. [central ohio] really appreciate the help and info can e-mail @ burntup2@yahoo.com thanks guys mike 32 mikuni cv

You are not the first and won't be the last to break the post off. Do a search here, there are threads that deal with this issue. Those carb bodies are pretty plentiful. I'm sure chef will be along shortly telling you he has one available. Depending on which carb body you need, I may have a spare.

Comment

Which carb body is it? 1-4 left to right.
      I have a #2 and #3 32mm bodies but they are for the 750 and 850.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have a #2 and #3 32mm bodies but they are for the 750 and 850.
        They are the same for the 650..jetting may be different though.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
          They are the same for the 650..jetting may be different though.
          Actually the spacing on the carbs are different. The 1&4 are the same but the 2&3 have wider spacing to make up for the wider apart intake manifolds for the bigger pistons. I found this out the hard way when I tried to rebuild a trashed set of 650 carbs and tried to use a set of 750s and the gang plates did not fit.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

If he's only using one carb from a set the spacing doesn't matter, All the jets would need to be replaced with the originals. If you do a search their are several ways to fix it...

Comment

So if the gang plates are different does that mean the hole spacing on the carb bodies are different also or are the bodies the same but spaced differently using wider T's. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                If he's only using one carb from a set the spacing doesn't matter, All the jets would need to be replaced with the originals. If you do a search their are several ways to fix it...
                What?
                Yes it does matter. You need to replace with 550 or 650 #2 and #3 carbs. The have the same spacing on the head.
                As I said though the #1 and #4 are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  So if the gang plates are different does that mean the hole spacing on the carb bodies are different also or are the bodies the same but spaced differently using wider T's. Does that make sense?
                  The spacing where the carbs fit together is shorter on the 550s and 650s. The vent Ts and fuel rails are also different. There is a spacer on the linkage for the butterflies on the 750s and 850s but not on the 550s and 650s. But again this only on the #2 and #3 carbs. The #1 and #4 are interchangable on all 32mm GS bikes. Except for the siamese 550 carbs.

Comment

number 2 carb from the left thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      The spacing where the carbs fit together is shorter on the 550s and 650s. The vent Ts and fuel rails are also different. There is a spacer on the linkage for the butterflies on the 750s and 850s but not on the 550s and 650s. But again this only on the #2 and #3 carbs. The #1 and #4 are interchangable on all 32mm GS bikes. Except for the siamese 550 carbs.
                      Hey Bill,

Could the carbs interchange if the linkage is transferred over?
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Hey Bill,

Could the carbs interchange if the linkage is transferred over?
                        Yes, I could never get the butterflies off.
                        It's possible if you can get them apart. I tried but didn't want to screw them up.

Comment

Working...
                        X