1978 GS1000E Winter Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000E Winter Project

I picked this bike up from the deceased owners son back in November 2009. The bike was last registered in 2003 and looks to have been sitting for awhile.

Fortunately the bike was stored properly. The battery was pulled, the tank and carbs where drained, and it was stored indoors. The suspense was killing me since I had never purchased a non-running bike before, I had to see if it started. 4 new plugs and with the carbs primed, hooked up a Gixxer battery and it fired and ran on all 4. Then I started ripping it apart.

I found a few interesting things. First was the Mikuni 29mm Smoothbore carbs. I was searching for the petcock nipple and I could not find it. So I searched the good ole GSR and discovered that I had rack of some desirable and well performing carbs. Upon dis-assembly, they had all the parts and nothing was busted.

Then I pulled tank and saw the Green Dyna coils. What the hell, I pulled the points cover and found it also had a Dyna electronic ignition.

I did not want to get into a frame off on a very clean, original bike, so I tackled the important areas.

-Rebuild brakes-New Vesrah Pads
    -Rebuild forks with new oil, seals, and Progressive springs.
    -Rebuild Mikuni 29mm Smoothbores
    -Z1 Carb Holders with nipples for vacuum petcock
    -Unwrap and clean harness and connections
    -Update charging system with F12AA Voltage Reg/Rect
    -New AGM Battery
    -New Avon Roadriders
    -Inspect and clean sticky Clutch
    -Overall clean up

I found that the battery was not being charged. The static stator test showed all is well, so I figured it was the reg/rect. I did not want to mess around, so I went all out went with the Shindengen FH-012AA that I found new for $40.00. A few sealed connectors from Eastern Beaver and we where good to go. I used a small 2 fuse block from an Aprilia RSVR for protection.

At the same time, I completely removed and unwrapped the harness to inspect it for shorts, burns, and breaks. Luckily, nothing was melted. I cleaned every connector and wrapped it with automotive harness tape. I added a few grounds and used a battery ground cable from a ZX6R that had another ground pigtail already. It works perfect.

I could not get the clutch to release, so I opened it up and took it apart. Everything looked mint inside. The bike was stored with brand new oil. I re-oiled the steel and friction plates and re-assembled. I polished the cover while it was off. Works perfect now.

The forks looked beat and where leaking. I ordered new seals, 15wt Maxima, and Progressives. I must say I enjoy working on these old forks. They are very easy to service compared to my 2007 GSXR-1000. While apart, I polished the lowers. The bushings looked clean, so I flushed em, seated the seals and put them together. The actually feel like real forks now, not pogo sticks.

Pretty much done! It was 44 degrees today so I took it out for a shakedown. It runs a pulls great. Im surprised at how easy it starts cold. Way better than the last 2 I have owned. It show 13.1 volts at idle and peaks at 14.31 volts at about 3000 RPM.

The forks really make a huge difference. The bike just feels more planted and is more enjoyable to ride. Too bad the brakes are still terrible. There are a lot of original parts on this bike, which is why im surprised it all works. Even the self canceling turn signals still self cancel. The paint cleaned up very nice even though there are a few flaws.

Comment

Wow!

Very very nice!
      Summer here in South Africa also trying to get my G up and running.

Comment

A beautiful bike.
        Skunks rule!
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
        X