Throttle spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle spring

One of the first things I notice about my newly-aquired GS850 is that the throttle return spring is very strong. This must make it a PIA on long rides.

Then I got thinking (and I might burn in hell for even contemplating it) why do you even need a throttle return spring. It has 2 throttle cables; 1 to pull the throttle open and another to pull it closed.

The first bike I ever owned was a '48 Harley with hand shift. It didn't have a spring return on the throttle and it worked fine.

I know I will get alot of flak for this but has anyone ever take the spring off?

Brian

Sounds more like your cables are sticky and/or routed wrong. Fatter grips give you a bit more leverage, which is nice on longer rides.

And yes, you need the throttle return spring. Even without the spring, the throttle wouldn't remain where you set it, like a boat. If nothing else, the spring makes the throttle predictable.

Also, you might want to be clearer that your bike is a 1979 GS850 by putting it in your signature.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
    X