Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Intake Repair

Hello friends,

This is just another shameless plug for my little website. I documented my latest garage session and threw together this little guide:

Air Intake Repair
    (Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement)

My thanks to all of you who gave me the knowledge and confidence to undertake this task. Mr. Steve is giving the document an editing/proofreading look, but I couldn't wait to post it. I know it overlaps some of Mr. bwringer's information, but his bike is too clean anyway.

I'll also be adding a very excellent write-up about installing the Dyna-S electronic ignition by Mr. POULSEN. Thank you, sir, for your contribution to the hive intelligence.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2010, 04:17 AM.

Hey CLIFF that cam chain tensioner is a bit dirty. Shouldn't you have cleaned it while the carbs were off.

Well done CLIFF, we continually look forward to your new additions. I will certainly be using the electronic ignition upgrade at some time in the near future.

Comment

[QUOTE=Suzuki_Don;1169874]Hey CLIFF that cam chain tensioner is a bit dirty. Shouldn't you have cleaned it while the carbs were off.

I concur . The tappet cover gasket is a little unsightly as well . Should have been blue .
      I like your work old mate . Doin' it properly is the way to go .
      With your cable (zip) ties , I've found , through much experience , that if you cut the tails flush to the buckle with a stanley knife ( box cutter ) you won't get that little razor sharp tit . You wont get those horrid cuts when you go back in there in a couple of years . I then roll the tie around the wires so the buckle can't be seen . Beeooodiful .
      Cheers , Simon .
      Last edited by simon kuether; 03-10-2010, 07:56 AM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

after installing the air box boots you don't have to seal the boots to the box with anything? You're just using the snug/tightness of the new rubber to create the seal?
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
          after installing the air box boots you don't have to seal the boots to the box with anything? You're just using the snug/tightness of the new rubber to create the seal?
          Correct. No sealer is needed.

However, on many models, the airbox/carb boots have expanding spring steel retaining rings inside.

On models that do not have these, you can get air leaks when the boots shrink with age and heat. The difference between old and new boots is pretty shocking sometimes.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            However, on many models, the airbox/carb boots have expanding spring steel retaining rings inside.
            Do you have any tips on how to re-install those blasted rings?

I put new boots on "Freebie" and chose to leave those rings off, as the boots seemed to be sealing well enough without them. Would still like to know how to do it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for looking and sharing your insights. I've just posted up the latest revision after Mr. Steve's suggestions. (Thanks for letting me borrow your eyes Steve!) And thanks again to Stig Poulsen for a copy of his electronic ignition installation guide. Despite English being his second language, it's an excellent tutorial.

Yeah, next time I'll clean up that cam chain tensioner.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Do you have any tips on how to re-install those blasted rings?

I put new boots on "Freebie" and chose to leave those rings off, as the boots seemed to be sealing well enough without them. Would still like to know how to do it.

Hmmm, I wish I did. It has always taken me quite a bit of poking with a screwdriver and pulling with a hook tool to get those durn things back in their grooves. I put them in as far as I can with a large pair of pliers compressing them, and then poke, pull, and push them the rest of the way.

If you have a shaftie with a two-piece airbox, it might be easier to take the airbox halves apart. I haven't tried this, but it probably would be worth it in the end.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I had some good luck getting those rings in with needle-nose pliers. I got them started by closing them up and stuffing them in as far as possible by hand. Then I grabbed the deeper end with the needle-nose pliers and it pulled around the inside of the boot. The tension tends to pull the ring to a smaller diameter, releasing its grip on the boot. As the ring turned, I pulled it a little deeper in. IIRC, I helped the other end in with a screwdriver.

I'm thinking now that with two pair of needle-nose, you could compress it like a snap ring.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                    I'm thinking now that with two pair of needle-nose, you could compress it like a snap ring.
                    Well, I only used one pair of pliers, but I overlapped the ends of the ring and held them with the pliers and inserted it into the boot. That is where the fun started. Anything I did at that point would kick the boot out of place in the opening, so I just gave up and left the rings out.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    If you have a shaftie with a two-piece airbox, it might be easier to take the airbox halves apart. I haven't tried this, but it probably would be worth it in the end.
                    It would be a neat trick, if only it would work.

I explored that possibility, but to get the two screws that hold the front corners, you have to reach through the hole, right where the boot is.
                    In other words, if the boots are in, you can't get to the screws to put the halves back together.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How do I go about getting an OEM Suzuki part number? I see BassCliff got his intake boots (carb to cyl.)
                      I took BassCliffs part number and entered it at "Indianapolis Suzuki" and it actually comes up. I would like to enter the part number for a GS1000, but how do I come up with the number?
                      Has anyone got a parts manual with numbers for a `78 GS1000C?

Comment

Hi,

Most of the online OEM parts dealers on the list in your "mega-welcome" have online parts fiches where you can look up part numbers for your bike. (Note: BikeBandit uses their own parts number scheme that does not match the Suzuki OEM part numbers.) The fiche at http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm is a good one to look up part numbers, but don't buy anything there. They have the most expensive prices I've seen.

BassCliff

Comment

Got it figured out B.C., Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X