What gauge wire is used in OEM stators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What gauge wire is used in OEM stators?

Well, the thread title says it all, what's the stock wire gauge?

I am willing to experiment a bit to see if I can increase output a bit for my wife's electric vest. Already have an FET r/r on there, but have evidently lost the stator, so it's time to replace. Had a new ElectroSport unit that I got from a fellow member, but had to put that in "Freebie" last weekend, instead (along with an experimental FET r/r).

I have found a shop that claims that their rewinds are heavier than OEM, but can use any size wire I want. With the increased efficiency of the FET r/r at lower rpm, I am hoping that a slightly larger wire (which results in fewer turns on the stator, therefore less voltage) will allow just a little more current to handle the load of the vest and still do a decent job at idle speeds.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Don't know what to tell you Steve, but I've had no problems powering my electric vest and grip heaters with mine. Maybe someday it'll all go up in smoke, I don't know.

Comment

I couldn't find matchless's rewinding guide which IIRC had the OEM wire size.

I can measure the "bare" wire gauge on one when I get home if needed.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Does this help Steve ?

Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

17 gauge is what I've always seen quoted. The problem is finding it. The few that have done it used 16 gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Well, it's informational, but not so sure it answers my question.

It says that you can use 17 or 18, but never mentions what OEM was. If OEM is 19, then either one is an upgrade, but if OEM is 18, then only the 17 is an upgrade.

The guy I talked to at the rewind shop said that the difference in turns between 18 and 17 gauge wire would definitely hurt the output and suggested 17 1/2 gauge. I had no idea that "half-sizes" existed. He said he carries half-sizes from 15 1/2 through 22 1/2.

That is why I am looking to find the original size or at least a conversion table where I can measure the wire in the stator that I just removed from Freebie and determine the gauge.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks. I did a quick search right after my last post and found the same thing.

Now to measure the wire when I get back to the hotel tonight.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Hi Steve,

I found this information on some guy's website.

Matchless' rewinding guide is on his Mediafire site:

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

He states using #19 AWG for this project.

If that link doesn't work, this is the link to his Mediafire "front door"....

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Happy winding!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM.

Comment

OK, measured the wire. Including the insulation (but squeezing the sharp jaws of the caliper about as much as I dare), it is 0.0475". Bare 17 ga. wire is 0.0453, so I think that 17 ga. is the OEM size. I am confident that this is an OEM stator because is has all the right colors in the wires.

I am going to have one stator in 17 ga. and one in 16 1/2 ga. to see if there is enough voltage at the low end. Remember, this experiment also includes an FET r/r, so the results won't necessarily hold true if you still have an SCR-based r/r.

By the way, the FET r/r I put on Freebie was also an experiment. Most of the ones I found on eBay were for newer, larger bikes. But then I saw a few that caught my eye and just wouldn't let go. The r/r on an '07 or newer Honda Foreman, Rincon or Rubicon ATV is an FH009. Smaller size, like the OEM r/r, but has the two large connectors on one side. The difference here is that there is a sixth sense wire. When I ordered my connector harness from Eastern Beaver, I had Jim include the extra wire. I tested the install and could not see that the sense wire made any difference, but time will tell. The best part of the FH009 r/r is the price. I missed out on bidding for one that went for $15. I got mine for $22 (including shipping) and they commonly go for $25-30 (plus shipping). So, if you are in the market for a new r/r, consider one from a Honda ATV.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      OK, measured the wire. Including the insulation (but squeezing the sharp jaws of the caliper about as much as I dare), it is 0.0475". Bare 17 ga. wire is 0.0453, so I think that 17 ga. is the OEM size. I am confident that this is an OEM stator because is has all the right colors in the wires.

I am going to have one stator in 17 ga. and one in 16 1/2 ga. to see if there is enough voltage at the low end. Remember, this experiment also includes an FET r/r, so the results won't necessarily hold true if you still have an SCR-based r/r.

By the way, the FET r/r I put on Freebie was also an experiment. Most of the ones I found on eBay were for newer, larger bikes. But then I saw a few that caught my eye and just wouldn't let go. The r/r on an '07 or newer Honda Foreman, Rincon or Rubicon ATV is an FH009. Smaller size, like the OEM r/r, but has the two large connectors on one side. The difference here is that there is a sixth sense wire. When I ordered my connector harness from Eastern Beaver, I had Jim include the extra wire. I tested the install and could not see that the sense wire made any difference, but time will tell. The best part of the FH009 r/r is the price. I missed out on bidding for one that went for $15. I got mine for $22 (including shipping) and they commonly go for $25-30 (plus shipping). So, if you are in the market for a new r/r, consider one from a Honda ATV.

Good info on the ATV r/r. Should be fewer people looking for them. Good luck on the rewind. I have a couple of old ones I should do up for spares.

Comment

Working...
                      X