Float needle valve extraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float needle valve extraction

I'm stripping the carbs and there's corrosion and gunk around the float needles, i.e. they're sticking.

How do you (or can you) remove the needles for cleaning?

32mm CV carbs. Stock on '82 1100E.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Are you using this procedure?

Carb Cleanup Series

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The float needle itself won't come out or the float seat?
      If they are bad you will need to replace anyway so I use PB Blaster on the seat and let it soak in and pull it out with pliers.
      By the way the 1100s uses 34mm CVs.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Wow! That's a really good instruction set. I am more than impressed.

For anyone reading this: The Float Needle should fall out freely. If it's stuck then soak with carb cleaner. Remove the Needle Valve Seat Clamp and then the Needle Valve Seat Assembly (press-fit).

Thanks buddy.

Comment

Chef: Thanks bud. I need to soak the gunk off. My mistake about the size.

Not only are the carbs rusty but so am I...

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Are you using this procedure?

Carb Cleanup Series

Love your Zen messages, Cliff
            GS850GT

Comment

Here is a needle valve removal tool I made(altered). works great. Unfortunately there are several sizes of needle valve bores. So if you dabble in different bikes you may need more than one. I may have posted this before if so please forgive the repeat. The starting point is a ball gauge for measuring the ID of bores. I just grind it till it slips inside the needle seat. Tighten the screw wiggle and remove the seat to replace the o-rings with no damage to the seat. I did this because I got tired of ruining perfectly good seats with pliers.

Comment

Nice tool. I like the split collar idea.

I learned to make tools from my Grandfather. 'Back in the day' fancy tools weren't available so he made them. I'll whip something up based on your design. Thanks.

Comment

Shoot, I need one of those.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Wow! I wish I were a real mechanic.

Nice work with the extraction tool!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thats slick.

I wonder if it would grip larger bores if you put tape on the collar.
                      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                      AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

that tool... damn fine idea and execution there, congrats!
                        GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                        X