Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little help with ignition please (multi part question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a little help with ignition please (multi part question)

Well I got some info from Basscliff's site but I still need a little help. Im trying to test everything to make sure the ignition system is in working order. This is a kind of long multi part question so sorry for the book Ive written here.

I did the test for the ignitor like this and it worked...

Remove the spark plugs of #3 and #4 cylinders, fit them into the plug caps, and place them on the cylinder head.

Remove the frame cover on the right side and disconnect the lead wire from the signal generator.

Connect (+) lead of voltmeter [set to ohms] with blue lead wire on the ignitor side, connect the (-) lead on the voltmeter with the green lead wire.

The moment the test leads are connected, the electrode of spark plug of #4 fires. The moment the test leads are disconnected, the electrode of spark plug of #3 fires.

Also measured resistance for the secondary windings on the coils by putting the leads from the meter into the spark plug boots and the site said I should get 30-50,000 ohms and I did.

Now, my questions are for the other methods on the page.

1) it says to test the coils place a test lead on each of the terminals on the primary side of the coil. Im not sure what the primary side means. Would this be the two wires coming from the coil and to a plastic connector under the tank? I just need to know how to access those terminals so I can test the resistance of the coils themselves.

2) There is a test that reads as follows. Im not sure how to do this test as I dont fully understand the instructions or which plug and wires it is talking about. I see the 4 pin plug on the ignitor but still not sure which wires or if I even need to do this test since the others ignitor test worked.

Here's how to check the ignitor. Remove spark plugs 1 & 2 and ground them to the motor so they will fire when they get power. With the ignitor facing you, the plug on the right side of the ignitor is where the signal generator plug fits. The two terminals on the right side of that portion of the ignitor will be pin 1 at the front and pin 2 at the back. The two left pins will be pin 3 in front and pin 4 at the back. Turn the ignition switch on. With a multitester set a the X1 ohm range put the + probe on pin 2 and the - probe on pin 1. Plug number 1 should fire. Next put the + probe on pin 4 and the - probe on pin 3. Plug number 2 should fire. If this happens the ignitor is good and the signal generators are suspect.

3) How do I test the signal generator? The page says...

As for testing the pickups, signal generators, measure the resistance between the two wires on each pickup. You should get somewhere around 130-200 ohms. If the resistance is infinity or less than spec they are shot.

Which wires is it talking about? The blue and green wire that goes into the ignitor? I guess I need a pic or something for this one or a detailed explanation....

I suspect the signal generator is the problem anyways because the cover was off when I got the bike but I dont know how to test it or make sure everything is lined up.

Thank you so much in advance for the help guys, I really appreicate it. I feel like Im really close here, at least I hope so.
    ---Eric

Yes, you are so very close. Basically already there.

To check the primary side of the coils, disconnect that connector with the two small wires going to it. Put your meter into the OHMS mode. If you have to set a range, make it 20. Put your meter leads on the two pins in the connector that go to the coil.

To measure the signal generators, it's almost the same thing. Along with the blue and green wires, there is a third wire (I don't remember what color). Follow that cable, you will eventually come to a 3-pin connector. Separate it, measure across the pins that go to the generators. If you have to set the range on your meter, make it 200.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

FYI
      i'm near the cinci oh. area and have triggers and igniter's for your bike if you end up needing anything.

Comment

Ok I tester the coils and they read what it says they should, thanks for the info there. I can see there is a red wire along with the blue and green actually on the points (correct term?) Is that connector under the bikes frame because Im not seeing it. Ill get down in the floor and check it out I suppose.

Also,I took all the plugs out, left them in the boots and laid them on the head and I could see spark from all of them when I hit the starter button. Should it be a massive spark or what because Ive never done that before so I have no idea what Im looking for there lol. It kind of looks like a decent size spark you get from wearing wool socks across the carpet and touching the door knob ha ha.

oh and blowerbike, thanks Ill keep that in mind.
        Last edited by Sparky; 03-12-2010, 10:10 AM.
        ---Eric

Comment

"Should it be a massive spark or what because Ive never done that before so I have no idea what Im looking for there lol. It kind of looks like a decent size spark you get from wearing wool socks across the carpet and touching the door knob ha ha."

i couldn't have described it better myself

Comment

I can see there is a red wire along with the blue and green actually on the points (correct term?) Is that connector under the bikes frame because Im not seeing it. Ill get down in the floor and check it out I suppose.

My '80 (GS1000) only has two wires coming from the crank pickups.
            The third wire is not brought out.

IIRC the wires exit the bottom of the side case and are quite long.
            Presumably to reach the ignitor box.

Of course, since you have the 750, maybe this is all bumpkis.

Comment

well I only see the two coming out as well. (blue and green) so It must be the same.
              ---Eric

Comment

2) There is a test that reads as follows. Im not sure how to do this test as I dont fully understand the instructions or which plug and wires it is talking about. I see the 4 pin plug on the ignitor but still not sure which wires or if I even need to do this test since the others ignitor test worked.

Here's how to check the ignitor. Remove spark plugs 1 & 2 and ground them to the motor so they will fire when they get power. With the ignitor facing you, the plug on the right side of the ignitor is where the signal generator plug fits. The two terminals on the right side of that portion of the ignitor will be pin 1 at the front and pin 2 at the back. The two left pins will be pin 3 in front and pin 4 at the back. Turn the ignition switch on. With a multitester set a the X1 ohm range put the + probe on pin 2 and the - probe on pin 1. Plug number 1 should fire. Next put the + probe on pin 4 and the - probe on pin 3. Plug number 2 should fire. If this happens the ignitor is good and the signal generators are suspect.

3) How do I test the signal generator? The page says...

As for testing the pickups, signal generators, measure the resistance between the two wires on each pickup. You should get somewhere around 130-200 ohms. If the resistance is infinity or less than spec they are shot.
                I wrote that years ago and should probably edit it to make things easier to understand. On the ignitor I'm talking about the socket on the right. There will be 4 terminals in this socket if your able to use this test. You want to consider these terminals as two pairs, one pair for each coil. The two terminals on the right of the socket will be 1 & 2. The terminal closest to you is 1 and the terminal closest to the bike is 2. Then the two left will be terminal 3 & 4. 3 is closest to you and 4 is closest to the bike.

You can check the signal generators using the plug that goes into that same socket. Check the same positions on the plug as you did on the socket for the igniter test.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help. I really do appreciate it. It paid off too because I got her to fire up and run today which wouldnt have been possible without the help
                  ---Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X