Leaking float bowl question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking float bowl question.

Guys, I did first do a search regarding my question about leaking float bowls but cannot seem to find any thread history that exactly answers my specific question. Therefore, I am starting a new thread for my question.

Whenever the subject of leaking float bowl gaskets is brought up, typically two problable causes are mentioned. First of all, the bowl gasket itself is leaking or the carbs are overflowing for some reason.

My question is this: If the bowl gaskets are NOT leaking and the carbs are instead overflowing for some reason, wouldn't the overflowing fuel just drain out the overflow tubes on to the ground and leave the bottoms of the carbs dry? Or, is there some possible reason an overflow situation would still cause the bottoms of the carbs to become wet with fuel giving the appearance of dripping and leaking bowl gaskets?

Is it always correct to assume that just because you see fuel droplets hanging from the bottom of the bowl that the bowl gaskets are leaking, or could this also be coming from a fuel overflow problem?

I appreciate your wisdom regarding this.

GS750GUY

You would have more than one condition in that case. Float valves not seating or bad o-rings on the seats and bad baskets on the bowls.

Comment

Possibly the oring in the drain plug under the bowl is bad???? Just a thought.

Comment

If the carbs are overflowing, I have known the fuel to spew out the air-take side of the carb, and leak past the rubber flanges, etc. It also ends up in the airbox, but you can get some of the fuel dripping off the bottom of the carbs.

Also, have you considered some sort of fracture of the fuel bowl casting?

Comment

Originally posted by sscott View Post
          Possibly the oring in the drain plug under the bowl is bad???? Just a thought.
          Thanks sscott! But it appears the fuel is originating from higher up than the drain plugs. I should have mentioned that.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
            If the carbs are overflowing, I have known the fuel to spew out the air-take side of the carb, and leak past the rubber flanges, etc. It also ends up in the airbox, but you can get some of the fuel dripping off the bottom of the carbs.

Also, have you considered some sort of fracture of the fuel bowl casting?
            Thanks tfb!
            When I rebuilt the carbs I did check the bowls for leaks by filling them with water and letting them sit overnight.
            I just wanted to confirm that there are other ways fuel can end up dripping from the bottom of my carbs before I just assume that it is faulty bowl gaskets. It's time I clean my air filter anyway, so I will look for signs of fuel in the airbox when I clean it up.
            Gs750Guy

Comment

The overflow for the float bowl sits higher that the gasket so you often gets leaks in both places.

The O rings for the fuel screws could also be shot - she'll leak from there as well.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The overflow tube can come loose and it can leak around the tube itself.

Replacing the bowl is the best option
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                X