Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Axel Holder Stud

OK
    I got my new tires today. I took the rear tire of last week. No problem.

I went to take off the front today. OK so now there are a few issues.

1. One of the studs snapped off (shucks) they don't look hard to replace is there anything I need to worry about? I figure I'll replace all 4 of them.

2. One stud nut was just about only finger tight

3. The left brake disc seems to be stuck in the caliper and I was not able to get the caliper holding bolts out by hand. Looks like its time for some air tools. Screw driver might do the trick.

Anyone been there done that and have tips?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2010, 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi,

What bike? (Hint: Put your year and model in your sig file.)

Try some WD40 or PB Blaster on those stuck bolts. Be very careful NOT to get any on your brake pads.

What stud did you break? One of those at the bottom of the forks that hold the axle?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Broken Front Axel Bolt

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

What bike? (Hint: Put your year and model in your sig file.)

Try some WD40 or PB Blaster on those stuck bolts. Be very careful NOT to get any on your brake pads.

What stud did you break? One of those at the bottom of the forks that hold the axle?

BassCliff
      Hey Cliff,
      I will update my profile
      I have a 1986 GS 1150, and yes one of the studs that sticks out of the front forks snapped while I was loosening the nut.
      I really did not torque it hard as I was doing all this by hand. Must be my 24" biceps
      I'm pretty familiar with how much force you can put on these bolts, as I have been wrenching on bikes for years. I never had a bolt snap like that before, but this is the first time I had to pull the front tire on any GS I have owned. I did it on the Hondas I owned a lot of times. I even did the fork springs, oil and seals on the past hondas. O well I guess I'll make a trip to the dealership to get gouged tomorrow.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2010, 01:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi,

Well, I guess it could have broken due to years of being over-tightened and stressed. Or it could have been your 24" biceps.

You can use a big flat screwdriver to push the brake pads apart if they are stuck on the rotor. Just, you know, be careful.

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2010, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Front Axel Stud

Hi,

Well, I guess it could have broken due to years of being over-tightened and stressed. Or ti could have been your 24" biceps.

You can use a big flat screwdriver to push the brake pads apart if they are stuck on the rotor. Just, you know, be careful.

BassCliff
          Hey Cliff
          Could be, cause it snapped like the bolt was hollow. Like I said I have stripped bolts, bent bolts, just about everything, but this is the first time I remember snapping a bolt in recent memory. What really trippd me out was that one of the nuts on one of the studs was only hand tight
          I rode this puppy last season and it has been sitting all winter, so I know this bolt was likely loose and ready to fall off last year.
          Thank God I decided on new tires, Acautlly the old ones (look to be in good shape). I am considering keeping the rear when they take it off. My guess is that the tires beads are deteriorated and are leaking air.
          I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Hi,

Check the date codes on your tires. Personally, if a tire is more than 4 years old, I get a new one.

Have we seen pictures of your bike yet?

How Old Are My Tires?

BassCliff

Comment

Don't fret too much about it -- those studs are made from Suzuki's patented E-Z-Strip mix of sawdust and cheddar cheese.

Replacement is perfectly straightforward. My bike's been wearing new 8mm studs and nuts from Ace hardware for about the last nine years.

The 6mm studs holding on the oil filter cover are the same story -- everyone strips these out.

Replace the nuts and washers, too.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Front Axel Stud

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Don't fret too much about it -- those studs are made from Suzuki's patented E-Z-Strip mix of sawdust and cheddar cheese.

Replacement is perfectly straightforward. My bike's been wearing new 8mm studs and nuts from Ace hardware for about the last nine years.

The 6mm studs holding on the oil filter cover are the same story -- everyone strips these out.

Replace the nuts and washers, too.
                I just took the broken stud out with a pair of vice grips.
                I ordered 4 new ones online. I kind of figured I could match them up with something from the Hardware store. I'll see if I can find a match tomorrow. It's going to rain all weekend, and I might not have my tires back (mounted) before Monday so I guess I can hold off a couple of days.
                I'll keep you posted.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2010, 01:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Front Axel Stud Bolts

Originally posted by Jimmyd View Post
                  I just took the broken stud out with a pair of vice grips.
                  I ordered 4 new ones online. I kind of figured I could match them up with something from the Hardware store. I'll see if I can find a match tomorrow. It's going to rain all weekend, and I might not have my tires back (mounted) before Monday so I guess I can hold off a couple of days.
                  I'll keep you posted.
                  Does anyone happen to know the correct length of the front axel studs?

I went to the hardware store and purchased (4) 8 mm X 50 mm studs.

I lost the stud that snapped off and its hard to judge/compare to the studs still installed in the fork. I was just going to wait for the one I ordered online but found out they are back ordered.

Comment

The part number on the fiche is: 01411-0830A

So they're 8mm threads (1.25 pitch) X 30mm long.

If the new studs are a little longer, it won't hurt anything as long as the unthreaded part in the middle doesn't extend past the clamp. In your case, that might be a problem.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 03-15-2010, 07:30 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Front Axel Stud

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      The part number on the fiche is: 01411-0830A

So they're 8mm threads (1.25 pitch) X 30mm long.

If the new studs are a little longer, it won't hurt anything as long as the unthreaded part in the middle doesn't extend past the clamp. In your case, that might be a problem.
                      I was able to match the pitch with the nut, but I was not sure about the length.

Hope these work out or I'll just have wait til my order comes in.

Thanks

Comment

Bike Pics

Hi,

Check the date codes on your tires. Personally, if a tire is more than 4 years old, I get a new one.

Have we seen pictures of your bike yet?

How Old Are My Tires?

BassCliff
                        I keep getting errors when I try to upload the Jpeg file. Maybe I can convert the file and get it to upload.

Comment

Almost Read

Originally posted by Jimmyd View Post
                          I was able to match the pitch with the nut, but I was not sure about the length.

Hope these work out or I'll just have wait til my order comes in.

Thanks
                          Ok Ladies and Gents
                          The new tires are on the bike.
                          The new starter is in but I broke one bolt putting it in (new project). New starter turns over nicely.
                          The loose stator connection is repaired.
                          I might get the carbs and the tank on tonight then take a little ride tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                          X