petcock screen question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock screen question

I am rebuilding the original petcock from my 86 550es. It is in amazingly good shape. My question - the screen has a small hole at the top (see the hole circled in red in pic below) and it seems as if this hole will allow unfiltered fuel into the petcock. Anyone have one they can look at? I'm inclined to JB weld the hole shut - the rest of the screen is like new. thanks

Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2010, 05:58 PM.

I'd leave it. Since that part looks to be in good shape most likely that hole is intended to be there for some reason.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i looked at it some more and thought about it. only explanation i can come up with is the hole is there to pass fuel if the screen becomes completely clogged

Comment

Not much to worry about if it is going to bug you run a sheet metal screw in the hole.

Comment

leave it be if it looks factory then its not an issue..And a sheet metal screw!!! How about you go for something more practical, less heavy, and non corrosive like a nylon screw...
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

not worrying. just seems odd to have a hole that can pass unfiltered fuel in such a fine mesh screen. i've rebuilt hundreds of fuel cocks and have never seen a way for unfiltered fuel to pass like this one. thanks.

Comment

dont add anything metal that can rust directly into the fuel system EVER!!!!!thats the purpose of the screen to stop METAL rust chunks and silt from getting downstream..
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

nope - if i plugged it it would be with a dab of jb weld

Comment

yeah or something compatable that is fuel proof

Comment

A screw head won't fit through the hole in the tank either. So there! Yeah a plated screw around all that raw steel inside of the gas tank dangerous.

Comment

I would leave it. The crap would be at the bottom anyway

Comment

i'll probably leave it alone. I used to be a fuel systems engineer and was just looking for the cool tech explanation. Good idea to run a small inline filter anyway

Comment

In my limited experience, the rebuild is a waste of time. Buy the new OEM petcock...it's worth it.

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmmm. alway had good luck with the new diaphragm and o ring kit.

Comment

Working...
                            X