Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control wires lost to fire, help please

Ok, the fire claimed my control wires as well, an 82 gs1100gk

So where is a good place to get a new set?

Do I have to get a specific set or will almost anything work?

Thanks!!

You mean like throttle and clutch cables? FleaBay both new and used.

Comment

This might sound dumb, so sorry....but....

The little box next to the throttle with the start and run/stop switch. Then on the other side the box that controls the blinkers/light and horn.

Thanks!!

Comment

Hopefully someone on here will be able to help with some spare switches. Otherwise it's off to fleaBay.

Comment

I went to bikebandit, found that they are called the right/left hand switch.

They sell the left but seems suzuki discontinued the right....ok, guess it's off to find used ones.

Comment

post a wanted add in parts wanted thats a popular bike..
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Done.

One other thing....can these switches be used from something else? does it have to be gs1100 specific or if someone has something from a different bike will that work? Just trying to see whats available.

Thanks!!

Comment

No, those switches were used on alot of GS models.

Here's your lefthand switch on ebay. At least, it looks like mine on the '84 GK.

With some searching and patience, you can find just about anything in the 'bay. You may find one much cheaper...this is just one.

Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks Larry D!

I looked at mine and it looks pretty dang close. I'll check it out some more in a minute...BUT

My choke is sitting on the bottom under that. It's attached to the box on the bottom.

Can I replace just the switch part or does that have to be changed too?

Confusing!! (wish I new more and new what I was doing.)

Comment

Originally posted by teamf4 View Post
                    Thanks Larry D!

I looked at mine and it looks pretty dang close. I'll check it out some more in a minute...BUT

My choke is sitting on the bottom under that. It's attached to the box on the bottom.

Can I replace just the switch part or does that have to be changed too?

Confusing!! (wish I new more and new what I was doing.)
                    It's not confusing....it's repairing.

The choke mechinism just screws into the bottom the switch. I haven't seen yours, so, if it's a molten mass of plastic from fire, then.....I'd replace it too. If not, just clean and re-use.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Post a parts wanted thread. Lots of stuff avaliable from the members, and many different models used the same controls

Comment

rechecked the choke mechanism...all is good there.

This is tough, don't know if I can fix it anymore.....the old wireharness was messed with, looking at it closer looks like it's just all botched up. The wires going to the head light, don't know what happen there. No connector like the ebay one says to the head light, may have been one there before, but not now. Someones rewired the old harness.

With the harness we got from someone here, that one had been messed with too, got it on but now having this problem with it. Looking at it doesn't look like there is any connector on it either for that switch on ebay.

UGH!! I'm not mechanical to begin with so getting this far is amazing. But did have someone come help ealier, so thankful for that. But he lives hours away. Met him thru this forum.

At a loss.

I'm sure that one on ebay would work, but looking at the wiring....I'm just lost.

Comment

You can mention me by name, it's OK.

You should post the picture of that knotted/charred mess that used to be the middle of the old wiring harness.

Don't forget you need the control assembly for both sides.

Comment

I'm pretty certain my '84 GK wiring hasn't been messed with. I will snap some photos for you if it would help. Just let me know what you'd like to see.

I'm not much of an electrical person, but, there's alot of people here that are. I'm sure they'll help with the particulars.....

Do you have a multi-meter ? You can get one very cheaply at Harbor Freight.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by skreemer View Post
                              You can mention me by name, it's OK.

You should post the picture of that knotted/charred mess that used to be the middle of the old wiring harness.

Don't forget you need the control assembly for both sides.

Yes Steve, VERY THANKFUL for your help today!!

Comment

Working...
                              X