Cleaned carbs now bike won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned carbs now bike won't start

Hi guys, I recently got hold of a GSX 1100 E 1980 model. A bit ratty but very cheap. I heard it running before I bought it and it ran although not particularly well. So I get it home rip the carbs off and give them a good clean out (they needed it). Problem is put it back together and now it won't start. It cranks till the cows come home but nothing, not even a hint of fire. I checked the plugs and checked for spark which it has. Bowls have fuel, and if I hit it with Aerostart it tries to run on the aerostart but nothing else. I am out of ideas at this point. Any help would be very greatfully received.

did you reconnect the airbox

and are the plugs fouled with gas?

Comment

It has pods on it and I hadn't refitted them, I thought it would run without them?

Comment

well if the plugs are getting wet then there is fuel being atomized and delivered

even though the pods may flow a lot more air than stock they would still be more restrictive than open velocity stacks and mess up ye olde stoichiometric ratio.

put them on gosh whats it take half an hour?

Comment

OK refitted the pods and changed the plugs and it started right up!!! Sounds tuff as too with the carb clean having cleaned up the throttle response. It is popping a little on overrun is this anything to be concerned with? Also a little black smoke coming from the pipe when you hit the throttle but it sure sounds the biz!!!!!

Comment

Did you do a good bench sync, before putting the carbs back on?
            How have you determined that your bowls are full of fuel?
            Did you leave the petcock on prime for 30-60 seconds prior to trying to start the bike?
            Without the pods (and I assume that the carbs were rejetted for the pods, by the PO or you) you will be running WAY TO LEAN, if you hVW EVERYTHING ELSE SET CORRECTLY.
            THROW THE STARTING FLUID IN THE CUPBOARD, and fill a spray bottle with fuel (I use 2-cycle fuel for a little extra lube) to get the bike up and going, if needed.

I have more suggestions but I'll await your response to the above, first...

Comment

Well, most of the above still applies...

Comment

I haven't synched the carbs, but will get that done by a mate of mine shortly. Carbs have 110 mains in them so not sure if that is stock or what. Bike has been messed with a bit as it has EFE front end on it but other than that know bugger all about it. Sure sounds tuff though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie GSX View Post
                  OK refitted the pods and changed the plugs and it started right up!!! Sounds tuff as too with the carb clean having cleaned up the throttle response. It is popping a little on overrun is this anything to be concerned with? Also a little black smoke coming from the pipe when you hit the throttle but it sure sounds the biz!!!!!

oh that is wonderful
                  a lot of folks think its ok to not put pods or airboxes back in place

that was I think the only true variable in your situation

the smoke may be from whatever unburned fule got spat into the cylinders and exhaust.

now post a vid for us

Comment

Working...
                  X