Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead lights

Hi all,
    I've been putting the miles on my new to me '80 Gs1100E. It's been very reliable so far and I'm quite pleased with it. Recently while riding I noticed my headlight was out. All other lights on the bike worked just fine.

I pulled over and took off the panels when I discover that all the lights are dead. No lights, gas gauge is dead, no panel lights. After inspecting fuses and wiggling wires I had the remainder of the lights back on but still no headlight.

I haven't even checked the bulb yet but the problem with the rest of the lights has me slightly concerned.
    None of the fuses under the left panel are blown.

Does this sound like a typical problem or should I get the wiring diagram out and start digging?

edit- The starter worked the entire time.
    Thanks

Originally posted by VP1 View Post
    After inspecting fuses and wiggling wires I had the remainder of the lights back on but still no headlight.

I haven't even checked the bulb yet but the problem with the rest of the lights has me slightly concerned.

or should I get the wiring diagram out and start digging?
    Check the bub and fire up your volt meter.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

How did you verify that the fuses are not blown? Did you just look at them or did you check with a test light or meter?
      You can not simply look at them, they can blow behind the metal cap at the end, where you can not see it.

Sounds like you have a bad headlight. Does it work on high beam?
      Your wire wiggling session might have cut through some of the accumulated corrosion and allowed current through the connectors. You will help yourself and your bike if you take apart all the connectors on the bike and clean the connections, then re-assemble the conectors, using a bit of dielectric grease to preserve the connection.

Most of your lights are powered by the LIGHTS fuse in the panel, usually the one closest to the end. The second fuse powers the signals, which includes turn signals, horn and brake lights. The third fuse powers the ignition. The fourth fuse is your MAIN fuse, the fifth fuse is your AUX fuse that powers the screw terminals on the end of the fuse panel.

If you find that you need a new headlight bulb, rest assured that they are rather inexpensive and easy to find. Simply go to any auto parts store or Wal Mart and get an H4 bulb. A 9003 bulb is the same thing. Just don't fall for the hype of a blue-tinted bulb having any magical powers for allowing you to see any better or farther. Just stick to a bulb that has clear glass and you will be fine. I use the Sylvania bulbs that have a +30 or +50 rating. They supposedly have a shorter life, but I have not noticed that. They DO, however, have a better light output.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Most of your lights are powered by the LIGHTS fuse in the panel, usually the one closest to the end. The second fuse powers the signals, which includes turn signals, horn and brake lights. The third fuse powers the ignition. The fourth fuse is your MAIN fuse, the fifth fuse is your AUX fuse that powers the screw terminals on the end of the fuse panel.
        By panel we're referring to the left side cover under the seat right?

My flying experience has me calling the "dashboard" the panel

I'll check all the fuses with my mulitmeter tonight. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X