One Cylinder to Rich, Which Way Do I Adjust Air Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Cylinder to Rich, Which Way Do I Adjust Air Screw

83 GS1100GL: Number 4 cylinder is running rich. Carbon on the plug, white smoke out the exhaust. Should I adjust the air/mixture scew on the carb? If yes do I screw it in or out? Carbs were cleaned recently. The other three plugs are perfect. I know where the air screw is, and to pop the plug over it if it's there. I will find that out tomorrow. Thanks, Gord

Screw it in to lean it off... it will only affect things at idle..... Have these carbs been cleaned recently, carb boot o rings replaced etc?

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If it still has the cover over it, your carbs likely need to be cleaned.

By "cleaned" I mean a full tear-down, stripped and DIPPED, according to the rebuild guide in the garage section of the forum. Re-assemble with new o-rings and hardware from cycleorings.com (a member of this forum), then adjust and sync them properly.

Your bike will likely also benefit from a valve adjustment at the same time. Valves should be adjusted before synchronizing the carbs, and you will have to sync the carbs after the "strip and dip".

Keep in mind that the screw you are asking about is not an "air screw", it's an "idle mixture adjustment screw". It actually controls the amount of a pre-set mixture that is admitted to the intake. All of those screws should be set between 2 and 3 turns out from lightly seated after rebuilding the carbs, then adjusted slowly, listening for highest engine speed. The stock settings (for EPA regulation) were about 1 to 1 1/4 turns, but they ran very lean and took forever to warm up.

For a little help in the valve adjustment department, feel free to read the last part of my sig.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X