83 gs650g project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs650g project

Dont have much to say about it, just some pictures as I go and questions. Ordered a new set of rear shocks (10.5 in long). Have a solo seat, drag bars, and a couple other goodies on the way.

how I picked it up

now

I love my 1982 650g. Looks like your front fender is off a E. That's what I replaced the broken plastic one on my bike with. Did you cut the mufflers off. I been looking for a left side heat sheild if you have one available. The clamp on mine is broken and long lost. Good getting her in shape.

Charlie G
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      I love my 1982 650g. Looks like your front fender is off a E. That's what I replaced the broken plastic one on my bike with. Did you cut the mufflers off. I been looking for a left side heat sheild if you have one available. The clamp on mine is broken and long lost. Good getting her in shape.

Charlie G
      I threw it away but will search for it tomorrow. send me an email tomorrow to remind me.

Everything that is removed from the bike now will be staying off including the handlebars and rear shocks (except for the tank). If anyone wants to buy parts let me know.

Comment

heat shields

Originally posted by suzu650 View Post
        Dont have much to say about it, just some pictures as I go and questions.
        Welcome to the 650G Club!
        I am sure you will love your 650G, everyone I have spoken with who has one absolutely loves theirs! Most people who have had one in the past usually say they wish they had hung onto it.

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        I been looking for a left side heat sheild if you have one available.
        Charlie G
        If you can't find one, I am doing up a set of perforated heat shields from sheet metal and having them rolled at the metalworking shop across the street sometime in the next week or so.

The only downside is that mine are going to be painted black, not chrome. I suppose some high heat silver paint may work though.

I will do up pics when completed and I can make another set if need be.

Comment

:update:

wrapped the exhaust today, changed oil & spark plugs, removed graphics from tank, bought new (used) fenders from a local salvage yard, and gave it another scrub.

dent in my tank. and tips or tricks to attempt to get it out?

stuff for sale which I will be making another thread for. (nothing was cleaned)

shocks for sale also

Comment

As Mac said before, Welcome to the 650 Club lol. I'm interested in the solo seat ya speak of. Who made it? Where'd ya order it from? I'm at work and really can't see pics. Depending on the dent, it may be easier to fill it with bondo than try and take it out. Some dents are eaiser to take out with a "Ding King". I have one on the upper RT side of my tank that's bad. Its not worth it to me to pull it out so I'm filling it.

Comment

I would be interested in the seat if available and front fender.

Donald

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
                As Mac said before, Welcome to the 650 Club lol. I'm interested in the solo seat ya speak of. Who made it? Where'd ya order it from? I'm at work and really can't see pics. Depending on the dent, it may be easier to fill it with bondo than try and take it out. Some dents are eaiser to take out with a "Ding King". I have one on the upper RT side of my tank that's bad. Its not worth it to me to pull it out so I'm filling it.
                The solo seat is not for sale, the original seat is. ..I have never worked with bondo so I am a little scared to use it. Is there a writeup on here for how to use it?

Originally posted by dstamour View Post
                I would be interested in the seat if available and front fender.

Donald
                email me plz

Comment

I understand the solo seat isn't for sale. I should have been a lil more specific. I'm thinking about doing a rear fender swap which would require a solo seat. Sorry if I confused you a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
                    I understand the solo seat isn't for sale. I should have been a lil more specific. I'm thinking about doing a rear fender swap which would require a solo seat. Sorry if I confused you a bit.
                    oh ok i understand now. I dont know the brand or anything, just got the cheapest one off of ebay

Comment

Good job with the exaust wrap! I had fiberglass stuck in my fingers for days after I did mine- Cant wait to see some more pics--and for the dent in the tank...make the other side the same!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zerofreeze View Post
                        Good job with the exaust wrap! I had fiberglass stuck in my fingers for days after I did mine- Cant wait to see some more pics--and for the dent in the tank...make the other side the same!!
                        I would try to make the other side the same, but I am too afraid I would miss it up even worse. as the dented side doesent look THAT bad
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2010, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Good luck with that project. I´m always happy to see threads on my favorite GS and will be interested to see how it evolves. Those machines, well any GS really I guess, just keep going and going as long as they get the basics in maintenance. Cheers.

Comment

It was like Christmas!!

10.5 inches

had this made to hide the tank bolts and wires, for free! (still need to trim it to look a little better)

with or without front fender?

LOVING the way it looks! still waiting for my bars, seat, and a cpl other things to come. Also, avoiding the sanding and painting as much as I can

Comment

trimmed

used rubber furniture leg end things to cover where I cut the frame. Had to heat them up and stretch them a little but I am satisfied with how it came out.

Comment

Working...
                              X