Petcock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock question

I did a search and could not find an answer to my specific question regarding the petcock on my 78 GS750EC.

The outer most retainer ring on my petcock has just two tiny screws holding it in place over the petcock selector lever. I notice when these screws are screwed down tightly after rebuilding my petcock that it is impossible to even move the selector lever between Prime, Reserve, & Run.

Is the outer retainer ring designed to be just snuggly tightened to hold things in place, or does this ring need its screws tightened firmly in place?

My second question is how easy should the selector lever move? Should it rotate into position quite smoothly and easily? Mine seems to be quite stiff even after losening the retainer screws considerably.

GS750Guy

The lever should turn smoothly, but with a little friction.

My suggestion would be to remove the petcock, take the outer ring off, remove the lever and the barrel behind it. I use a small brass or nylon cup brush in my Dremel tool to clean out the cylinder, then use a Scotch-Brite pad to clean the barrel until they turn smoothly against each other. Put just a dab of white lithium grease in there to keep corrosion down to a minimum, then re-assemble. I think you will be impressed with the results.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

did you put the ring on backwards ? Or jam the sealing lip in crooked ? take it out and use some silicon grease on it. The fuel will wash the grease away so no need to worry about it

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The lever should turn smoothly, but with a little friction.

My suggestion would be to remove the petcock, take the outer ring off, remove the lever and the barrel behind it. I use a small brass or nylon cup brush in my Dremel tool to clean out the cylinder, then use a Scotch-Brite pad to clean the barrel until they turn smoothly against each other. Put just a dab of white lithium grease in there to keep corrosion down to a minimum, then re-assemble. I think you will be impressed with the results.

The early petcocks are different, don't think they have that barrel piece.

I'd try a dab of silicone grease on the O-ring and see if that helps.

The problem with rebuilding petcocks (my view) is the poor quality of the available rebuild parts. Maybe the O-ring is too large? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          The early petcocks are different, don't think they have that barrel piece.
          OK, ... I learned something new. Can I go home now?

Please?

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Is the outer retainer ring designed to be just snuggly tightened to hold things in place, or does this ring need its screws tightened all the way down and firmly in place?

Anyone have an answer to this part of my original question?

Thanks!

GS750Guy[/QUOTE]

Comment

I have always tightened them down completely and the petcock has moved freely inside it.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

I rebuilt my petcock three years ago and it seemed to work fine up until late last riding season. I came real close to spending another $30.00 with Z-1 to buy another rebuild kit but my guts told me to first just check out the existing situation. Boy, I'm glad I did. I found that there was nothing wrong with the existing kit and that it just needed a little TLC work. I just disassembled the petcock and cleaned it up and polished the surfaces, added a little silicone grease as one of you suggested and .....bingo! It works great! I can crank the retainer screws all the way down and the lever turns nice and easy with just a little bit of friction being felt.

I guess I have to keep in mind that all things....even the little things on a bike just need a little periodic maintenance work now and then.

Thanks for everyone help with this. Happy Riding Season!

GS750GUY

Comment

Working...
                X