SV650 shock FITS GS550ES!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV650 shock FITS GS550ES!!

I've been looking for something to hold together the back end of my 86 550ES for when I decide to send the works shock off for a respring/rebuild. I looked at the works sight and saw that the 550ES shock is 13" center of eye to center of eye. Then I looked for another bike with same dimensions. 2003 - 2007 (and maybe later) SV650!

Got on ebay and found a nearly new take off (LOTS of SV folks "upgrade" the shock). Anyway got the shock today and swapped it out. Ten minutes. You do not need to remove the swingarm, yada yada like the manuals say.

1. Put the bike ON the centerstand. My bike rested on the FRONT wheel while on the center stand.

2. Remove the LOWER fastener (bolt and nut) from the shock. You probably need to support the rear wheel a bit to work the bolt out.

3. I had to take the chain guard off (works reservoir) - this is easiest now because you can move the rear wheel up and down to get to the fasteners.

4. Remove the NUT from the upper shock attachment. Now remove the bolt. The shock pretty much falls out - don't have your hand in the way!

5. To install the SV shock - the bayonet (forked end) fits on the upper linkage EXACTLY like the shock you just took off. Forked end has exactly same inner width as old shock!

6. The lower requires some washers for spacing. Leave about 1/16" of gap so the shock does not bind. Use the stock bolt and nut - that way you can't overtighten the nut. Install the bolt and run it in. Then the nut. Check for a little play to avoid binding.

The works shock I removed was obviously sprung for someone smaller than my 210 lbs (Hey, I'm a tall guy). Anyway, the SV shock had about half as much sag with the preload cranked up to one notch less than max. Did not ride the bike but the springing and damping felt OK!

So - if you need a shock for temp use for the ES the later SV650 fits. If you're shock is blown up and you just need a shock. try it!

Update - if you have the stock shock with the preload knob or an aftermarket with reservoir you'll have to factor that into the process!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM. Reason: update

hmmm...wonder of it fits the 700 as well??

Comment

The length is right but he says the top fitting is bayonet.... the 700 is eye to eye like the 750 isn't it?

What are you doing with your old spring? I'd like to try it on my bike... I can probably swap with one off a Ducati Monster 900 (also 13" shock length) that is definitely too hard for my 165lbs on the 750...

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

sorry - 700ES is eye to eye.

My spring - you mean the spring from the Works shock i took off? If I don't need it for the rebuild. the guy that had the shock made a while back was about 170 lbs and the rear ws too soft for me.

Comment

Any updates as to how well your sv shock setup works? I am looking into finding a shock to swap out in my 86 gs550es and came across your thread. Thanks!!

Comment

As my user name implies I'm a now former SV owner.Wondering why anyone would want a SV shock.There is a reason thy are being taken off.Didn't think I needed to do it to mine but when I got a ZX10 shock in it showed me how bad the SV was.OK it's going to be better than a dead shock but not by much IMHO.

Comment

Well, I sure wouldn't say I am looking to get an sv shock. Just looking for a shock that will fit my gs550 that would be an upgrade from the tired old original one. I have heard that some old gsxr shocks may fit, but I am just beginning my journey to fixing up the old girl, so just gathering information! Don't necessarily want to spend hundreds of dollars, of course.

Comment

bump for pics !

i have been looking at replacing my stock 85' gs550e shock ,what to people use as a straight bolt in swap? im at the point in the "make it less ugly" phase where i am removing the swing arm to paint so the shock is comin off. would be nice to get a replacement before putting it all back together again.

p.s. if anyone has 1 laying around let me know, i have a bunch of spare parts i could swap

Comment

If it's the same as my 750 You can use a Ducati Monster 900 shock. That's what I did. You'll probably need your stock spring. Again - I did.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I did end up getting an sv shock for 20 whole dollars and it fit perfectly, except you need a couple of spaces at the lower mount and had to lose the centerstand. It works just fine for the kind of riding my wife will be doing on it.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

SV650 shock on a GS550ES

I read your instructions but you did not mention if you removed the center stand, the 1'st post on this topic said the SV650 swap needed the center stand removed.

I need to do this to my wifes bike but we like the center stand

Thanks

Neal

Comment

Well if you read the entire post, you'll see he did the swap while on the center stand, so I'm not sure how he could have removed it.

Comment

SV650 shock swap

Exactly why I asked for clarification, I did go look at SV 650 shocks on EBAY and there are 2 types, 1 with a reservoir and 1 without, a 2004 GSXR shock looks like just like the reservoir model and I know it's 335 mm from eye to eye
                          and would fit, don't know why the center stand is involved, the reservoir in on the top of the shock.

Comment

Originally posted by gsxrlvr View Post
                            Exactly why I asked for clarification, I did go look at SV 650 shocks on EBAY and there are 2 types, 1 with a reservoir and 1 without, a 2004 GSXR shock looks like just like the reservoir model and I know it's 335 mm from eye to eye
                            and would fit, don't know why the center stand is involved, the reservoir in on the top of the shock.
                            There are no SV650 shocks (stock ones anyway) that have a reservoir. The first gen shocks (99-02) are 338mm long (eye center to eye center) and have a 510 lb/in spring. The second gen (03+) shock is is 330mm long and has a 430lb/in spring. They both suck.
                            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

SV650 shock swap

thanks for the clarification, you can't trust Ebay posts, I appreciate that the SV shock is bad but it is WAY better than the clapped out shock on my wife''s bike
                              it has sagged over a 1/2 inch 12.5 eye to eye now. I think the GSXR shocks will work but I am unsure if the reservoir at the top will fit her bike.

Thanks
                              Neal

Comment

Working...
                              X