Corrosion. 12.5VDC dont mean sh!t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrosion. 12.5VDC dont mean sh!t

I hope Jim (Posplayr) will shed some "light" on this.

I was trouble shooting the inop dome light in my truck topper. Easy. Check the voltage at the bulb socket. 12.5 VDC. Bad Bulb. Nope. ???? There is 12.5V at the socket ! Two bad bulbs ? Nope. WTF. 12.5VDC on both sides of the fuse. A+ wire ohms out to the light socket. Bad ground ? Nope. Ground wire ohms out to the light socket. WTF !!! Crawled under the truck and found this badly corroded splice. Replaced it with a new splice and.....

How does the corrosion allow voltage but resists current ?

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

be sure to use some dielectric grease on the new splices and clean up all the other connections and grease them also.. that will avoid many problems down the road.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      I hope Jim (Posplayr) will shed some "light" on this.

I was trouble shooting the inop dome light in my truck topper. Easy. Check the voltage at the bulb socket. 12.5 VDC. Bad Bulb. Nope. ???? There is 12.5V at the socket ! Two bad bulbs ? Nope. WTF. 12.5VDC on both sides of the fuse. A+ wire ohms out to the light socket. Bad ground ? Nope. Ground wire ohms out to the light socket. WTF !!! Crawled under the truck and found this badly corroded splice. Replaced it with a new splice and.....

How does the corrosion allow voltage but resists current ?

Though I'm no electrical wizzard by any standard, is not the voltage, the "allowed current" through a given passage and the Ohms resistance the electrical equivelant to the "pressure"?

Geeezzzz, Dave. that could have all been avoided if you would have bought a Ford!

Comment

Very good illustration why there should never be spliced connections under a vehicle.

Even if it had been wrapped with a bunch of tape, water would still have found its way in.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Resistors are made from different materials that allow some flow but not much. Transistors and diodes are made from unique materials that allow current flow in strange ways.

In the light socket case you're looking for no monkey business, just low resistance. The green stuff looks like copper that has oxidized pretty bad. Try not to ford streams so much and you should be fine.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Very good illustration why there should never be spliced connections under a vehicle.

Even if it had been wrapped with a bunch of tape, water would still have found its way in.

What I was thinking to...only I'd say to never use scotchlock connects period, inside or otherwise.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              What I was thinking to...only I'd say to never use scotchlock connects period, inside or otherwise.
              AGREED~!

Comment

Using a digital voltmeter?

Watch out when checking for voltages with a digital voltmeter. The input impedance is so high that a mere trickle voltage is enough for them to register.
                You'll have better luck using one of the 12vdc trouble lights. I've added a really long clip lead to the negative side of mine. Clip it to the -side of the battery to check for 12 volts. Clip it to the + side and you can check for ground continuity. And I still use an analog VOM a lot. Much more dependable than a digital unit sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                  AGREED~!

Double that agree here...we get those issues at work allllll the time..truck driver spends $200 on fancy lights and then installs them with those damn connectors..or worse yet..ive actually seen people use wire nuts..as in house wire nuts...a nitemare to trackdown and very costly to re-wire a set of 25+ lights correctly when it should have been done right the first time...they should outlaw those scotchlocks.

DDM

Comment

Scotchloks are evil. Eeeeeeeeeeevil.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yes indeedie

And that is why electrical engineers invented "full load" tests
                      Last edited by posplayr; 03-18-2010, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by teddux
                        By using a DIGITAL VOM and not the conventional/analog type, that's how.
                        You are not the first or last person to be fooled by a digital VOM.
                        Please explain the empirical or theoretical basis for your conclusion.

Comment

I'm an electronics tech by trade. My take on this is the faulty connector could pass 12vdc to the socket with no load (no bulb filiment) But once bulb was installed and circuit loaded (bulb filiment)the corrosion in the connector provided the path of least resistance and passed the small amount of current that should have been going to the bulb and went to ground. Not a short that would blow a fuse more like the corrosion created a poor mans resistor to ground. Agree with never use these snap connectors. Once removed over thirty of them on an old Goldwing. My choice is 40/60 solder and heat shrink.

Take care

Tim

Comment

Got it.....

Scotchlocks - Bad (I actually knew that)

Get a (maybe two) test lights.

Smart ass replys - Ask Mr. Dave8338 (I actually knew that too)

Empirical or theoretical conclusions - Ask Mr. teddux (could you fix my TV ?)

Thanks guys ! I see the light !!
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Scotchloks are evil. Eeeeeeeeeeevil.
                              But they're Easy. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASY!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X