Simple brake master cylinder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple brake master cylinder question

OK I should be able to figure this out but here's what happened. 1980 550L front brake seized up. I took the front caliper off, cleaned it out, lubed the caliper bolts - the seals and everything looked really clean, almost like new. Took the master cylinder apart and there was some rust from the spring but everything looked pretty good, cleaned it out and put it back together. Now when I pump the handle no fluid goes out of the reserve container. I can feel air pressure at the brake end of the hose but no fluid comes out.

Sorry to bother you all but after taking everything apart three times I thought asking might be quicker. Thanks.

There is a really tiny hole between the master and the reservior that loves to clog up so make sure it's clear. Other than this you might want to try pulling a vacuum on the caliper nipple to draw fluid down out out of the reserviour and prime the master. Once the master fills up with fluid it typically starts to pump normally.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What was I thinking. When it was all dry I should have blown some air through there. And I'll try to pull some fluid out too. Thanks and I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

Comment

Remove the hose on the master and try pumping it up, blead the master first. Cover up the tank and anything you don't want brake fluid on..
        Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2010, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I take off the line from the M/C to the junction box and dunk it in the resevoir. With the brake lever off push in the piston with a philip screwdriver until the little bubbles stop.
          Put the line back on.
          Now crack the line at the M/C and open the farthest bleeder from the M/C. With a squirt ketchup bottle full of brake fluid with a hose at the end attach it to the bleeder and fill the lines until the fluid comes out the cracked open line at the M/C. Repeat with the other bleeder if you have two calipers. (Which I don't think you do)
          Now bleed the brakes manually and you should be golden.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

,,," take off the line from the M/C to the junction box and dunk it in the resevoir. With the brake lever off push in the piston with a philip screwdriver until the little bubbles stop."

That worked great. Sorry I can't see how to attribute it to Chef.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve314159 View Post
              ,,," take off the line from the M/C to the junction box and dunk it in the resevoir. With the brake lever off push in the piston with a philip screwdriver until the little bubbles stop."

That worked great. Sorry I can't see how to attribute it to Chef.
              I'll give credit to someone else.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X