HELP 1st post, Carb questions and ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP 1st post, Carb questions and ideas

Hello, This is my 1st post and I recently bought a 82 GS650E. When I got it, it would start only if I pulled the chock slide on the right open and then it would die if I gave it gas or let it go. The guy I bought it from told me it just need the carbs cleaned. Anyway I brought it home and I realized he had ciliconed the rubber part from the carb's to the motor so I figiured the carbs would need to come off anyway to replace this part and pulled the carbs off. After finding this site I read that I should have looked at my spark plugs first. They are very black(like soot). Ok since the carbs are off what do I DO.

I want to build a rat rod Bobber.
    I would like to change my airbox to 4 seperate pods or something, I also would like to cut off my pipes starting at the cone and then wrap them.

I am sure i will need to rejet if I do this. I am on a tight budget thats why I bought this bike as a project.

Please give me your ideas & oppinions. Thanks for all of your help in adavance.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2010, 11:13 PM.

If you're going to do pod air filters, I think a Dynojet Stage III kit will probably be the recommendation. A complete cleaning is in order as well, which means a complete tear down and chemical dip. Basscliff will probably be in shortly with his MegaWelcome, there's a carb cleaning tutorial in there. You'll have to break them open to install the Dynojet kit anyways, so you might as well clean them correctly the first time. That's the first step in tuning. You'll never get anything else right unless your carbs are cleaned properly. Dynojet kit runs around 100 bucks, you'll need new O-rings, I think they're less than $20 from a member here, Chem-Dip will be needed, maybe 30 bucks for a can. Possibly other items like diaphragms and gaskets, but the general consensus is that most of them are ok to reuse. Once you get fuel delivery sorted, then it's time to look at air delivery.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I think that your right and doing the carbs correct the first time is the best way to go.

Comment

Develop a great plan for boosting your motorcycle’s performance by using our convenient, reliable motorcycle carburetor Jet Kits available online. Once you see these kits in action, it will become clear why they’re the products that started the Dynojet fuel tuning legacy. They’ll effortlessly increase power and smoothness throughout the entire rev range. Whether your bike is stock, heavily modified, or created for high-speed racing, our Jet Kits can tune your air/fuel ratio to perfection. Not only will our motorcycle Jet Kits drastically improve your performance, but they’ll also show immediate results. With an increased power output of 5-8% and a fully adjustable design, our kits are the perfect companions to any rider. Expand your vehicle’s performance capabilities today with them.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ronc650

Yes! Do it right the first time. Check out the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". Come on in and make yourself at home! Let me say, "Howdy!"...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you for the warm greetings and the information. I will look at all the information posted and clean and rebuild the carbs soon. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ronc650 View Post
              Thank you for the warm greetings and the information. I will look at all the information posted and clean and rebuild the carbs soon. Thanks
              Smart move. Get things running correctly firsrt, then worry about the mods. If you ask me, ALL GS bike should be put back to stock, but I don't race them, so I'm a little skewed towards the preservation mode, myself.

Comment

Working...
              X