rear brake question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear brake question....

is it normal for the rear brake to feel "soft". not soft like if there's air in the lines, but like so soft u can't make a skid?

I would say no, the brake should feel firm.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      I would say no, the brake should feel firm.
      from what i understand a brake should do is.. if i stand on it, my rear tire should skid or not move correct? similar to the front brakes? i just did a complete rehaul on the calipers and master cylinder. to me they are feeling way soft.

Comment

Spitballing here... Since you just rebuilt it, I hope it's not one piston hanging. I'm also wondering about adjustment of the yoke that attaches to the brake lever. Um, was it bled at the both ends of the line? Are the pads glazed? Uh, that's all I got.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

you should be able to lock your real wheel, and with not too much effort either. much like with the front brake lever, at some point there should be a definite firm feel where the brake pedal doesn't go any further
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            Spitballing here... Since you just rebuilt it, I hope it's not one piston hanging. I'm also wondering about adjustment of the yoke that attaches to the brake lever. Um, was it bled at the both ends of the line? Are the pads glazed? Uh, that's all I got.
            i only bled it at the bleeder end.. the caliper, both of them. there's another end to blleed? also how to i know if my pads are glazed? and how do i fix that if they are?

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
              you should be able to lock your real wheel, and with not too much effort either. much like with the front brake lever, at some point there should be a definite firm feel where the brake pedal doesn't go any further
              my front brakes are "softed", always has been been. they have a good pedal for a a decent while. but after an hour of riding r so, they tend to get softer. i am still trying to get all the old fluid out the old hard way. (bleeding them), i am thinking i might have to do a whole overhaul like the rearend, not sure though.

Comment

they have a good pedal for a a decent while. but after an hour of riding r so, they tend to get softer.
                Do you have SS lines on the bike?

What you are describing is usually caused by old and swelling brake lines. By all means change the fluid, flush everything out and refill with fresh fluid.

Comment

Have you let the pads bed in yet?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

you can scuff the pads with sanding paper. clean the rotor with brake cleaner.
                    anyhow, glazed pads would not make the brake feel soft as you described. i wouldnt be suprised if some air is trapped at the m/c banjo. you can try bleed it at the banjo (potentially messy...) or take the caliper off and place it higher than the m/c banjo, then tap on the line a few times to get the air to move to the caliper, then blead at the caliper nipples.
                    GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                    X