Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS750 Cafe Build

Hello all......

I've been lurking around here for a few months now, and have found some great info. Thanks to all who share their technical knowledge.

So here's the story.......

I picked up an 80 GS750L last year, I think the last week of May.

This is what she looked like:

It was fairly neglected. The head had 3 broken exhaust studs in it, many parts were missing, and you can see the condition of the bike. Also, the baffles had been cut out of the pipes, and the carbs had not been re-jetted. It did run, but not very well. It had about 36k miles on the clock.

So here are the pics of the tear down. All parts were properly bagged and/or labeled.

I had a feeling this was gonna be a long project, lol

Comment

Here are pics of first steps. Acquiring wheels, and a cafe style tail.

I decided to go with an Airtech fiberglass tail. The dimensions matched up pretty well with what i wanted.

I found a set of GSX-R 1000 rearsets (2005) for cheap, so i gave them a shot. They worked out very well! I was able to use the peg mounting bolt as a mounting point, and one of the remaining bracket tabs for the other. The rear m/c needed moving slightly to make it fit right. So i fabbed a bracket. Since i was gonna use a hydraulic light switch, the mounts for the spring switch were ground off.

Here it is with the first tank i tried. It did not last, as i wanted the lines of an 80-82 E model tank.

Comment

Here is the first round of powder coating completed:

Triples:

Rims:

This was also a test of my local powder coater's skills. I was happy with the results. All powder coat is 50% gloss black with a 90% gloss clear powder on the top. It's almost as good as paint! really sharp looking!

Comment

The next round of powder took care of the sidestand, headlight bucket, chain guard, and the fork legs. i wanted straight leg forks vice the leading axle ones from the L. I picked up a set of straights from an 82 gs750E. I also picked up a cool set of universal guages that had the correct ratio for the tach and speedo.

And here is the first signs of what it will look like:

Comment

I finally got the frame mods done. I relocated the battery to the tail, welded in some seat pan supports, and converted the tank mounts from the L configuration to an E configuration. I also finished up deleting extra tabs and brackets. The center stand went bye bye also.

After the frame was done, i got it and the swinger powder coated. Once they were done, i got a little hyper, and just HAD to see it as a rolling chassis. Also, here is tank try 2.0, and the bullet turn signals that i found. they match the guages. everything is rattle canned for now, just for looks.

Here it is after that:

Comment

Looks promising. Are you keeping the exhaust hanger / rear peg loops?

Also, you put on forks with anti-dive?
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Ok, so had a chassis. But it needed a heart and soul! I began tackling the engine. It wasn't too bad after i tor it down. Some initial confusion led me to believe the cylinders and pistons were hosed. but after i found the right specs, they were fine! well within specs. One main bearing had a slight score in it. the crank journal was fine, so i polished it, and replaced the bearing. I found a nice head with 16k on it on Ebay for 100 bucks. all gaskets were replaced with an oem gasket kit that i got for 20 bucks. While the engine was disassembled, i got the valve cover, sprocket cover, cam end caps, stator cover, clutch cover, ignition cover, breather lid, and rear sets powder coated. I finally could afford the carb parts i needed, so i got 4 rebuild kits, and all the o-rings for the tee's. i also installed a DJ stage III kit, to allow for the best performance while running mods. The mods include a Kerker 4-1 ($50 from a guy i know), and K&N pods.

At this point, i was like a kid in a toy store. My dream was coming together!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  Looks promising. Are you keeping the exhaust hanger / rear peg loops?

Also, you put on forks with anti-dive?
                  Yes and Yes. I got the anti-dive before i knew they could be a pain in the butt. They MAY get blanked out.

Comment

So, now i have a running bike. After finishing up the electrical, the bike started and ran. I used a Kuryakyn (spelling?) turn signal controller that makes the rear turns function as run/brake/turns. I have started working on the brakes. I am using the Russel performance "Renegade" line. they use black chrome fittings and smoked braided stainless lines. I have the fittings on, and am using some rubber hose to mock up the lines. after they are done, i will take them off, measure them, and then order the correct length lines. I also installed my 6" shortened throttle and clutch cables today. The bodywork will be a pain in the ass, as i am shaving and filling the emblem mounts, and smoothing the rear pinch weld. The seat will be done in the next 2 weeks, i am taking the bike to the shop for my guy to make it for me. it will be a black cover held on with stainless snaps. I also still need to get the calipers powder coated. i already rebuilt the master cylinder, and repainted it and the clutch perch. Also added were bar-end mirrors, fork gaiters, and a few other little things that i prolly forgot to mention. Oh yeah, the front fender is a GT750 part that i chopped.

So that's where i am. I know how all you animals like pics! As i make the next big step, i will add more. Thanks for looking at and reading all this!
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Sweet build. That is one very nice looking machine you've got. Love the cafe look. What are you thinking about as far as paint? to me its just asking for some checkered stripes down the middle

Comment

cool! what are your plans for the original muffler mounts?

Comment

A cafe'd L!!
                          Sweet.. Best looking L I've ever seen, lol
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                            Sweet build. That is one very nice looking machine you've got. Love the cafe look. What are you thinking about as far as paint? to me its just asking for some checkered stripes down the middle
                            Thanks! I have no idea. either gloss black with a graphic on the tank, matte black with no graphics, or either with checker graphics. I'm still pondering.....

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
                            cool! what are your plans for the original muffler mounts?
                            Well, i'm using the right side one for the kerker, but i am also trying to use them to help hold up the back. without a center stand, taking off the rear wheel will be a PITA

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                            A cafe'd L!!
                            Sweet.. Best looking L I've ever seen, lol
                            Thanks!

Comment

Did you powdercoat everything yourself?

How? do you have a studio?

Comment

Working...
                              X