Coils for my 1982 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils for my 1982 GS850G

I started off this query on another page asking about the best place to buy coils online... and Macmatic suggested I should consider buying coils designed for another Suzuki (as long as I wasn't opposed to non-stock restoration - and I am totally ok with that).

I am moving my question to the technical area! I want to buy coils NEW, mainly because they are more likely to work if they are new, and our riding season in Newfoundland is so short that a breakdown can mean we're off our bikes for an entire season.

So my question is: what are the best coils I can buy for my 1982 GS850G? I don't want to do any frame mods, and I have limited tools (the basics but no welding tools).

If a hotter spark means better, and I can only get that with some minor modifications, I would give it a try! Also, I am not looking to save 20 bucks or something like that... if there is 100 bucks in the swing that's a different matter, but I want to buy something that fits (and works ).

Dynas are your best bet. Any dealer should be able to order them for you. Try the Motovan catalog.

Dynatek is the world leader in high performance electronic products for motorcycles. Best-in-class ignition solutions, fuel tuners, coil kits and more. Shop Online!

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Lot's of members here use dyna coils. You want the green (3.0 ohm) ones for your bike. You will need wires to go with them, I use the dyna wires as well.

Z1 Enterprises is a good place to get them:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

If ya wanna just spend money on something use it for something you really need. Not much talk of coils taking a dump around here.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Yeah but....

Originally posted by Octain View Post
          If ya wanna just spend money on something use it for something you really need. Not much talk of coils taking a dump around here.
          The issue isn't in the coil itself, but the wires are horribly cracked up and one cap is cracked in half (shipping accident). These are factory originals I think so the wires, caps, and coils are one unit... replace one thing... replace it all.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            lot's of members here use dyna coils. You want the green (3.0 ohm) ones for your bike. You will need wires to go with them, i use the dyna wires as well.

Z1 enterprises is a good place to get them:

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?id=208
            Thank you! I will have a look at these and order up... this site rocks.

Comment

Coils

I have a spare set to try if you just want to get your bike running until you get your new ones. I'm in St. John's.

Comment

Another townie...

Originally posted by jhillier449 View Post
                I have a spare set to try if you just want to get your bike running until you get your new ones. I'm in St. John's.
                Hey man thank you very much for your offer! I don't think I'll need to take you up on it right now, as I am not going to do any real work on the bike for another two or three weeks.

That said, Ill keep you in mind for later - I think you are resurrecting a 1980 GS1000 right?

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post
                  The issue isn't in the coil itself, but the wires are horribly cracked up and one cap is cracked in half (shipping accident). These are factory originals I think so the wires, caps, and coils are one unit... replace one thing... replace it all.
                  I understand you want to buy new coils. but do you know you can remove the epoxy holding in the plug wires, purchase new coil wire stock from an auto parts or an agricultural dealer (tractor) and replace the spark plug boots with new ones obtained from Z1?
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Oops...

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    I understand you want to buy new coils. but do you know you can remove the epoxy holding in the plug wires, purchase new coil wire stock from an auto parts or an agricultural dealer (tractor) and replace the spark plug boots with new ones obtained from Z1?
                    You know... ahem... ahhhh.... that WOULD have worked BEFORE I tried to remove the wires on my own without asking this site for help...

Oh well... I'm sure I'll end up with a better spark in any event now... and it only cost me more than it should have!

Next time I'll post before I leap.

Comment

Coils

I have a 1980 GS1000G I did a lot of work on over the winter, I have put on a couple hundred km already. If you need a hand with anything let me know. I'm no expert but I do all my own work, carbs are fun.. Just send me a PM.

Comment

Dyna coils aren't really all that. You won't notice a dime's worth of difference in the way your bike runs vs stock coils. I bought a set of Dynas when my bike was a few years old. Within a year one of them crapped out. Now I have a set of coils from a GSX-R before they went to coil packs on each spark plug. I think I gave my original coils to someone from the forum years ago that needed a set. Dynas are just a feel good thing for people that ride the street. Kind of like running premium even though you don't need it. You might notice the difference on a built engine but not stock.

Comment

My bike's been wearing Dyna coils for about ten years. I wasn't looking for any improvement in the way the bike runs -- I'm fully aware that "hotter spark" is just snake oil.

What I was looking for -- and have gotten -- from the Dyna coils was the simple ability to replace the dang wires. My bike is currently wearing half a set of yellow universal Accel wires for a V-8. I found them on clearance at the auto parts store for $10 one day.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Stock costs more...

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                            Dyna coils aren't really all that. You won't notice a dime's worth of difference in the way your bike runs vs stock coils. I bought a set of Dynas when my bike was a few years old. Within a year one of them crapped out. Now I have a set of coils from a GSX-R before they went to coil packs on each spark plug. I think I gave my original coils to someone from the forum years ago that needed a set. Dynas are just a feel good thing for people that ride the street. Kind of like running premium even though you don't need it. You might notice the difference on a built engine but not stock.
                            OEM is so much more money than the Dyna coils... I ordered the Dynas, + wires and caps, including fast shipping for 170 bucks - it remains to be seen what reaming I will get from Customs...

BUT the same set-up OEM locally is $430, and if I order from Bike Bandit it's $270 plus shipping (about $30) for a total of $300.

So "hotter spark" or not... as long as they hold up...

Now on to the 4-1 exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post
                              ... Now on to the 4-1 exhaust!
                              You realize that you are opening another can of worms?

How about the intake side? You sticking with the stock airbox or going with individual pod filters?

I ask these because each situation requires different jetting in the carbs. Even changing just the exhaust system will require jetting changes. Chaning to pods will require different jetting. If you do both, yep, even more changes. Best to have your end goal in mind so you don't have to keep spending money on all the intermittent steps.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X