Problems with Metzeler Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Metzeler Tires

When I first got my GS1000E I put a new set of Metzeler tires on it. After the first season, with next to no mileage on them, due to carb problems, the back tire started cracking all the way around the sidewalls. After a long process Metzeler replaced it. After a winter in the garage, both the front and back tire are doing the same thing again. Has Metzeler's quality gone down, or have these tires been sitting in a distributor's s stock so long they are ready to dry rot immediately? The cracks aren't very deep, but they go all the way around the sidewalls on both sides. I don't have time to jump through their hoops for more replacements. These tires have no signs of wear. What brand should I go after? Possibly a slightly more aggressive compound that wears well. I'm not knee dragging, but coming close.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

You can figure out the date of manufacturing here.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the code and get some pictures when I get home from work.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Where did you purchase them from? Which tires specifically? I ran into the same problem with the Avon roadriders on my 650. I wonder if they are from the same retailer, in my case it was Tires Unlimited.

Comment

DO check the manufacturing dates, as it sounds like the tire is old, even though it appears new and unused.

Tires begin to age as soon as they are made and have a limited life, best before five years, which means that if they are sitting on a dealer's shelf for several years, they are already past prime when you buy them.

Tires also age more quickly if they are stored improperly. Darkness is best, and sunlight will increase aging, but certain airborne chemicals can also affect the process, and those are peculiar to each storage environment. Ozone, for example, will definitely speed deterioration.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Any cracks in the sidewall & you should throw the tyres in a skip straight away, i always do this with even uncracked metz tyres regardless of age but thats a personal thing

The only other reason i can think of for a sidewall t crack apart from whats been mentioned above is if its sat on the bike for a long time with the pressure down, they usually seem ok untill you pump them up & strat using them

Comment

I think I'm done with Metzeler. DOT XE 7A F300 2608 on the front and DOT XE 5V F329 1109, the new replacement on the rear. I don't have more than 900 miles on the front, and maybe 400 on the rear. I would appreciate some recommendations. One tire was made in Brazil, possibly both.

Comment

I've always had really good experiences with BattleAxe BT45's
                -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
                DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
                -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

Those look like good tires. I suppose the v rated would be the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X