Cheng Shin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheng Shin

I purchased an 82 1100GL with two different tires. Both Cheng Shin. Front tire (Barracuda-V) made in Taiwan and Rear tire (C-SHI MAXX) made in China. They are new according to the previous owner with less than 500 miles on them. Should I be concerned at all from a quality standpoint? Any thoughts out there?

As I recall, Chen Shin tires had a pretty good reputation. But I also thought they hadn't been made in a while? Better check the date codes on the tires and see how old they are. My bike had a Chen Shin on the rear, but I immediately replaced it due to sidewall cracking.

Comment

The number on the rear is 3508. I believe that means it was made in 2008. Is that correct?

Comment

Should be. They stopped importing street tires in Fall 08 IIRC.

Again, they were pretty popular with a good reputation - particularly for a "budget" tire. The sidewall cracking on mine seemed a bit premature but that's a material issue. Ride it enough not to get there Never rode on it to feel out its handling characteristics, etc. But have seen much positive feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by czeremcha View Post
          The number on the rear is 3508. I believe that means it was made in 2008. Is that correct?
          Yep, the 35th week of 2008.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I have no experience with the Barracuda, but the Hi-Max is a good tire. We got about 14,000 miles out of the set on my wife's 850L. I'm sure that there are some on this board that could have managed to scrub them off in less than 10,000 miles, but that's their version of "fun".

By the way, we put on another set of Hi-Max because we were reasonably impressed with them. Cheng Shin has discontinued production of street tires, many have turned to Shinko for inexpensive replacements. Have not heard too many longevity stories about them yet.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X