Air screw purpose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air screw purpose

1982 GS 550L - When I tighten the air screws, does that make it leaner or richer? Also does this actually control the air or the fuel? thanks in advance

That is the only screw on this year of bike. Turning right leans it and turn left riches. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
      That is the only screw on this year of bike. Turning right leans it and turn left riches. terrylee
      Can I get a life line on this?

Anyone?

Comment

I call this the idle mixture screw. Fuel is pulled from the main jet and diverted to the pilot jet because the main is blocked by the jet needle.
        Air from the pilot air jet (on the filter side of carb. the jet you can remove) mixes with the fuel and goes through the idle mixture screw. This is premixed (fuel/air). The screw controlls how much fuel/air is metered during idle.
        They are set lean at the factory. I do the highest RPM method by setting each idle mixture screw so the engine idles the highest. (self explanatory)
        You'll need an temp tank to do this and a long screwdriver. Get a sync tool and to your carbs while your at it.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for typing the "hard work", Bill...

Comment

so loosening the screw would richen it?

Comment

Originally posted by Demonthrall View Post
              so loosening the screw would richen it?
              YES

more text added to conform...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                YES

more text added to conform...
                I thought you were a non-conformist.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    I thought you were a non-conformist.
                    Only on certain subjects!

Comment

Originally posted by Demonthrall View Post
                      1982 GS 550L - When I tighten the air screws, does that make it leaner or richer? Also does this actually control the air or the fuel? thanks in advance
                      Touch this screw and you are on your own for future help.
                      Not to mention the EPA knocking on your door.

Comment

Originally posted by teddux View Post
                        Touch this screw and you are on your own for future help.
                        Not to mention the EPA knocking on your door.
                        Are you kidding?

Comment

Are you kidding?
                          I don't know.
                          Was the screw ORIGINALLY blanked as on the 1982 GS450?

Comment

I've often wondered who was in that car parked across the street at all odd hours.

Comment

I've often wondered who was in that car parked across the street at all odd hours.
                              Hmmm, who's house?

Comment

Working...
                              X