Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not your usual tire thread, tire gurus welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not your usual tire thread, tire gurus welcome!

I’m in a bit of pickles since Pirelli discontinued my favorite dual sport tires. I used to run Pirelli Scorpions S/T but apparently they are things of the past now. I need a strong set of dual sport tires that can handle high speed, bad weather, some dirt and don’t cost an arm and a leg.

The scorpions were 100 bucks a piece and didn’t last long at all (the rear at least, 4500 miles) but the traction and the performance was worth every penny. I ran those tires on Dempster highway in northwestern Canada, sands of the Oregon coast and thousands of miles of rainy roads and loved them.
    The bike is a GS850GZ which takes 120/90/17 in back and 100/90/19 in front. I want a set of tires that I can run and if I like them, buy a few set to be shipped to me wherever I am on the trip. Keep in mind that the bike is 600lbs, plus it’s going two-up, 4 boxes full of crap and a full dry bag in the back. Total weight would be around 1100lbs fully loaded. The tires have to be able to handle such load plus some more for the stress of the bumps and humps.
    What tire would you run if you were riding such a beast and why? Any firsthand experience would be great.

Thanks,
    Chris

I don't have any help for you, I just wanted to say your setup looks sweet. Any details when you have time?

Comment

Thanks. You can read my journals and see the pics on my website at: www.motorcyclememoir.com . There is a long thread in GS stories section as well that i post the travel blogs but the archive on my website is much easier to catch up.

Comment

The front tire is not so much a problem, but the rear is an odd size for a dual sport tire. Heres what I found from motorcyclesuperstore.com

Bridgestone Front Trail Wing 101 100/90-19 73.99 (This is a tube tire)

Bridgestone Rear Trail Wing 42 120/90-17 63.99 (This is a tube tire)

Shinko Rear 705 Series 120/90H-17 59.99

If you feel comfortable mixing brands, the fronts are available in the Metzler Tourance, Avon AM43, Dunlop D207, Bridgestone TW101 and the Continental Conti Trail Attack.

The 130/80-17 is available in more tire brands but I don't know if this size would fit your bike. Shinko also makes a tire in a 5.10-17 which I think translates to a 130/90-17, not sure if this will fit your bike.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2010, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I'd go with a set of Dunlop Elite 3s. Best bang for the buck in touring tires.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Best bang for the buck in touring tires.
            He needs a dual sport tire. Don't think a touring tire would work off road.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              He needs a dual sport tire. Don't think a touring tire would work off road.
              Oh sorry.
              With what he's doing I'd go with the Dunlops especially with all the weight he's carrying.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

130/80-17 is wider and also shorter. Has anyone tried this size on GS850 rim? If it would fit OK, i would have a lot more choices. One brand and pattern would be nice but if i have tpp, mix and matching would be no problem. then there is the Kenda 761 in the size i need but the front tire is not the same. Kenda makes the 761 in 100-90-19 which is the right size for the front but it's a rear tire. i'm wondering if that would be OK. They are cheap and lots of KLR people swear by them.

Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2010, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I would try a set of the Trail Wings. The price is reasonable and they seem like decent tires. It may be possible to run that tire, check the specs and see if it can be mounted in the front or rear. Some Avons can be run either front or rear.

According to the dennis kirk web site, the K761 in 100/90-19 can be run front or rear. But which tire are you going to go with on the rear?
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

How about the Pirelli Scorpion AT or the Kenda K761? Both are available for your bike. Dennis Kirk has both of these.

$105.99 * Pirelli Rear MT90 Scorpion AT 120/90S-17 Tire
                    Dennis Kirk Part #: 541088
                    Manufacturer Part #: MT90
                    Aspect Ratio: 90
                    Construction: Bias
                    Position: Rear
                    Rim Size: 17
                    Speed Rating: S
                    Tire Classification: All Terrain
                    Tube Type: Tube
                    Units: Each
                    Width: 120
                    Width: MR/MS

$46.99 * Kenda Front or Rear K761 120/90H-17 Tire
                    Dennis Kirk Part #: 542219
                    Manufacturer Part #: K761
                    Aspect Ratio: 90
                    Construction: Bias
                    Position: Front
                    Position: Rear
                    Rim Size: 17
                    Speed Rating: H
                    Tire Classification: Dual-Sport
                    Tube Type: Tube
                    Units: Each
                    Width: 120
                    Width: MR/MS

Comment

Trail wings are famous for being called death wings , i never had any experience with them but the name scares the hell out of me. The k761 has the right size for rear which is 120/90/17 and it is actually a rear tire.

Comment

I wish the scorpion AT's had the matching front but they don't. The wings don't seem as scary as they make them sound, i'll look into that as well. I'll call Kenda tomorrow and ask them if i can run their tires on either end, if so i'll try a set.
                        Denis Kirk got some good prices, i usually get mine from Motorcycle Superstore but the AT's are cheaper at DK, i wonder about their shipping though.

Comment

DK shows the Kenda as a front or rear tire. Shipping with DK is usually free over $100, there is a $5 per tire fee.

Motorcycle superstore has free shipping over $75 with no tire fees.

Pirelli has the scorpion trail in the 100/90-19 for the front. Here is the review

Comment

If I'm correct then the height of the 120/90 is 108mm. The height of the 130/80 is 104mm.

I doubt you'll notice 4mm it's about 20 thou over 1/8".

I have used Avon 130's on a 1000G rim. I believe Ed has them on a 82 850G. I have also used the Elite III's on the same 1000G rim also in 130 size.

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                            X