gas tank explosion.............dam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas tank explosion.............dam

Got a question guys and gals......How does one go about drillin a hole in the side of a gas tank . Will it spark an explosion or shoot a flame....... Nothing at all if I go slow........Or will it explode so violently my cheeks slam shut and make it sound like thunder acroos the country...... Im having to relocate my petcock ( oldschool reasoning) and Im gonna drill a 7/16 hole then tap it and then put a ball valve for the petcock...... Oh yeh Im using a sportster tank thats part of the relocation.....................I have heard to just fill it up with water and drill your hole under water and your fine and others say its not gonna spark at all..............Can someone confirm proper drillin for me lol...

flush it real well with some dish soap and water a few times...or you can fill it with water, flip it over and drill away...
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

thanks man I appreciate it

I appreciate it chuck . Im gonna grab the balls from my wifes purse and just go for it. Shouldnt be too dam hot to drill just one hole......Thanks again

Comment

fuel lines for gs 1000

Hey guys is there a reason for two lines to the carbs from a pet cock on a gs 1000.. I know the bottom one is fuel and the other is in the same locations as the vent tubes on the other carbs. Why would one of the vent tubes go to the petcick, Is that for vacuum or something. can I run without it Is the number one question. Cause Im running a ball cock and only plan on running one line to the cabs..............Thanks a bunch

Comment

just drill slow and dont create excessive heat. and dont drill thru so water will gush out onto the drill in our hand either, by the way.. may get a bit of a poke that way. you know what to do..slow, keep it cool with the water in the tank, and its all good.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-23-2010, 08:16 PM.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The small line is for the vacuum operated petcock. If your going to use a different petcock, make sure you cap off the carburetor with the vacuum nipple.

Comment

Whenever I've had to do anything like that on a tank then I just fill it with carbon monoxide and go ahead and complete the task, drilling, etc. Just fill the tank with fumes from your car exhaust. Then you don't have a water filled tank to dry out after the event.

Comment

Just a heads up, you cannot drill a hole in a gas tank tap it and have it hold a petcock. Drilling the hole would be the least of your worries. Note how the stock tank is reinforced where the petcock goes.
                Filling a gas tank with water sloshing it around and draining it out will not remove explosive gas fumes, ask me how I know that. Kerosene or diesel works pretty good though. When I did repair work on gas tanks I would let a compressed air line run loose in the tank for 15 or 20 minutes that always worked for me.

Comment

well i have drilled many my self and yes even mig welded a few holes myself. if it is washed with water AND AND AND detergent a few times as was STATED ... then filled with water and drill with it full he has nothingb to worry about.. if you left air space that could fill with fumes because you didnt wash it out enough times with a strong enough detergent then yup i know why it exploded on you......

Comment

kerosene and detergent

well guys I have some kerosene would that work. Or would the detergent work better.............I dont wanna lose a tooth over a stupid petcock.......You guys have been a great help I appreciate everything....

Comment

STOP!!!!!!! NO KEREOSENE DIESEL ..Wash it very thoroughly with hot water and a strong detergent like mr clean, greased lighning, full strength simple green etc etc.. wash it two or three times. Then fill it with plain water tip it so where you want to drill is facing up and drill the hole ... the thing here is you gotta neutralize the combusible fumes from the gas vapors!!! Put maybe a quarter of a tank of water and the detergent and shake the hell out of it..dump it out and do it again with fresh detergent and water... get it as clean inside as you can first.....
                      Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-23-2010, 10:03 PM.

Comment

For some reason I think I should give my one cent worth here. Gasoline has a flashpoint of -40F. Kerosene is between 100-162F and Deisel is 143F. As has been stated its the vapors that will ignite not the liquid. Pour out the liquid in a well ventilated area and container. (Please no smoking when you do this). The vapor density of gasoline is less than one, which is why it floats on water. May not be a good idea to just flush it out with water or fill the tank with just water cause the gasoline and vapors will be at the surface of the water. (Probably right where you will be drilling) Purging of gasoline is a process.

Comment

What are you going to tap? Is there an existing boss or something? Taping the shet metal won't work.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

In my youth, I wanted to weld a hole in the tank of my BSA 650 lightning. I must have washed that tank 10 times w/soap & water. Decided I would light a match & burn off the "residual" fumes before welding. Well when the fumes ignited, it threw a fireball straight up in the air & actually started the ceiling on fire. Scared the crap out of me. Have you ever tried to put out a fire on the ceiling with a bucket of water?

Fill it with water, problem solved.
                            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
                              Just a heads up, you cannot drill a hole in a gas tank tap it and have it hold a petcock. Drilling the hole would be the least of your worries.
                              Needs to be re-stated. How's this issue getting worked around?

Comment

Working...
                              X