turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signals

My 850 has started not turning off the turn signal on the left, the right side works fine. So is this the self cancelling unit in the switch? If so anyone have one to spare? terrylee

Most unusual, as the cancelling part of the circuit does not care (doesn't know in fact) which signal is active. It only turns the flash on and off.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So your turn signal stays on?

I might know what the problem is, since I JUST fixed this on my 650.

There is a connecting adapter near the upper right of your battery, and I started wiggling that around, and WAALAAA my left turn signal started working again.....then I let go of it, and it froze again.
      (so basically, your wiring may be different, so I would just start getting in there and moving **** around without zapping yourself....or you can just look in the manual and locate the turn signal relay and all of it's related wiring/adapters, and just wiggle them around or inspect them and clean them.)

You gotta pop the seat off to get to it, obviously.

I inspected it, it looked normal! No corrosion.
      I sprayed some contact cleaner in there, snapped it back together.
      Not a problem since.

Im not sure if this is what you're talking about......but maybe it'll help anyways.

Comment

Hi,

Does the turn signal button get stuck all the way to the left? It's supposed to return to a "detente" position in between the fully left position and the center position.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Interesting mis-use of a word there, BassCliff, but it almost works.

detent
          Definition from Wiktionary, a free dictionary

Noun
          That which locks or unlocks a movement; a catch, pawl, or dog; especially, in clockwork, the catch which locks and unlocks the wheelwork in striking.

détente

Noun
          A relaxing of tension between major powers, especially the particular thawing of relations between the Soviet Union and the United States following the Cold War.

Yep, "major powers" all right; the LEFT and RIGHT signals.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The signal flashes on the left,but just doesn't turn off by itself. I'll have to check position of switch when it doesn't shut off. terrylee

Comment

When you activate your left signal, does the switch spring back a little bit to the right?

It should.

The right side should do that, too, evidently it does.

Pushing to the far left (or right) position is what starts the flashing control unit and tells it to start the flasher.
              If the switch sticks in that far left position, it keeps telling the control unit to start the cycle and never lets it complete it.

If the switch is sticking, try flushing it out with some WD-40 and moving it back and forth several times or just take the housing apart and clean it.
              You might also find something that is wedged in there, keeping it from moving freely, as it should.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Interesting mis-use of a word there, BassCliff, but it almost works.

detent

Noun
                That which locks or unlocks a movement; a catch, pawl, or dog; especially, in clockwork, the catch which locks and unlocks the wheelwork in striking.

détente

Noun
                A relaxing of tension between major powers, especially the particular thawing of relations between the Soviet Union and the United States following the Cold War.

Yep, "major powers" all right; the LEFT and RIGHT signals.

ahh Basscliff shows he is a french diplomat lurking about discussing turn signals..........

Comment

Do NOT disassemble the turn signal switch. Stuff flies everywhere and you may never get it back together. DAMHIK.

Get a can of plastic safe contact cleaner and lubricant from Radio Shack or any good electronics supply place (sometimes they call it tuner cleaner), take the switch pod off the handlebars, and spritz the switch guts liberally from the back whilst working the switch.

Make sure you get the stuff that's a cleaner with lubricant, not just the plain cleaner.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X