How to install this tiny brake switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install this tiny brake switch?

This is a brake switch from the right handlebar. How do I install this so that it will turn on and off? There doesn't seem to be a guide or channel for this to move in. The one that I took out had a little grease on it? what's the trick? Thanks Gord.

not sure why or how you got this part
    is it new?
    if so it has to be installed under the cap that holds two copper contact strips

look at the underside of the brake lever
    you will see a plastic part held on with two screws
    tyh epart goes under this and needs to be adjusted

an easy way out is an hydraulic switch which attached inline with the brake hydraulic hose

Comment

If you look up inside the brake from below you will see a rectangular slot. Your part sits up in there, black part (opposite the copper face) up.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Easiest way to work on that is to make sure the master cylinder cap is on TIGHT, then turn it over so you are not working upside down.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

switch

it seems easier to do if you can tilt handle up some, otherwise you have to try to hold that small part and put contact plate with wires attached to it up against this part and screw in the very small screws. terrylee

Comment

Hi,

Yes, it's a lot easier to work on this switch if you can turn your controls upside down on the handlebars. Also, here's a guide with pictures that may help you (I found it on some guy's website)...

Front Brake Switch Repair
            (by Mr. gravity tester)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have just put a dab of dielectric grease on the top plastic part and a little bit on the copper part it sticks in the recess, put on the cover over the top and you are good to go. It is a bit of PITA but can be done. I am too lazy to loosen and roll over the handle.
              82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
              AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

What is dielectric grease, and where can I get some? Pep Boys?

Comment

Originally posted by gorrbert View Post

a coating for electrical contacts that prevents corrosion lubricates and does not conduct and therfore short a circuit.

pepe boys should have it its pretty common stuff

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
                    I have just put a dab of dielectric grease on the top plastic part and a little bit on the copper part it sticks in the recess, put on the cover over the top and you are good to go. It is a bit of PITA but can be done. I am too lazy to loosen and roll over the handle.
                    Bingo!

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrbert View Post
                      As mentioned, it is a preservative to keep oxidation off your contacts.

Yes, you can get it a Pep Boys or Auto Zone or any of the auto parts stores. You can get a larger quantity, but if you don't mind paying a little extra, you can get more than enough for this job by looking near the cash register or the parts-ordering computers for a little pack that's about the size of a catsup pack at McDonald's. Usually about a dollar for the pack, but you might find a much larger quantity for just a couple dollars more, if you think you will need more in the future.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

i just worked on mine and i strongly suggest loosening the MC pinch bolts and rotate it so it is upside down as Steve indicated. I lost my spring and brass/copper??? piece a hundred times (not quite that many but too many to count) because it will fall out if/when you loose your grip on it.

I should have looked on "some guy's website" to have known how to do this before i did this.

It all worked out, eventually.
                        1979 GS850G
                        2004 SV650N track bike
                        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

One can always cheat and replace the unit entirely for about $20.00. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
                          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                            One can always cheat and replace the unit entirely for about $20.00. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
                            Yeah, but that's an upgrade.

A new direct-replacement unit is $18 from Cycle Parts Nation and Babbitt's.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I had way too much trouble with that mechanical switch and replaced it with a pressure switch at the handle. Much easier and more reliable. A most definite good upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X