Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs750 tscc running issues

Hey all,

I have been a member here for a few months now and have done some reading, but now that I have access to the bike again (snow) I was hoping to get it sorted out a bit. I have done a bit of searching, but between my uncommon engine (TSCC) and issues I felt a new thread was necessary.

So I bought this bike, an 82 gs750 tscc, and it would start and run. That said, it idled high, and adjusting the choke only seems to make it idle much higher. The bike does not have an airbox, so I assume it is running lean and this is the reason for the high idle. I haven't ridden it much at all, but it did seem to run reasonably well at low throttle openings up to mid rpms' where it would fall on it's face.

My first question is where could I get an airfilter(s) for this bike? I have been having trouble finding a correct airbox, so I would be fine with getting individual filters, but I am not sure which would fit this engine, as it is hard to find information about the carbs on the tscc bikes.

My second question is would the lean condition caused by running with no filter cause the loss of power at high throttle openings and rpm I described? I suspect this is true, but I am trying to determine whether I need a carb rebuild.

My third question is what carbs do I have, and which rebuild kit should I get?

My fourth question is, the bike doesn't seem to charge, which I know is a common issue on these bikes. That said, I haven't ridden it much. How long of a ride would be necessary to top up the battery and get it going? Would it charge at all at idle?

I would appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

Originally posted by zer0zg View Post
    Hey all,

I have been a member here for a few months now and have done some reading, but now that I have access to the bike again (snow) I was hoping to get it sorted out a bit. I have done a bit of searching, but between my uncommon engine (TSCC) and issues I felt a new thread was necessary.

So I bought this bike, an 82 gs750 tscc, and it would start and run. That said, it idled high, and adjusting the choke only seems to make it idle much higher. The bike does not have an airbox, so I assume it is running lean and this is the reason for the high idle. I haven't ridden it much at all, but it did seem to run reasonably well at low throttle openings up to mid rpms' where it would fall on it's face.

My first question is where could I get an airfilter(s) for this bike? I have been having trouble finding a correct airbox, so I would be fine with getting individual filters, but I am not sure which would fit this engine, as it is hard to find information about the carbs on the tscc bikes.

My second question is would the lean condition caused by running with no filter cause the loss of power at high throttle openings and rpm I described? I suspect this is true, but I am trying to determine whether I need a carb rebuild.

My third question is what carbs do I have, and which rebuild kit should I get?

My fourth question is, the bike doesn't seem to charge, which I know is a common issue on these bikes. That said, I haven't ridden it much. How long of a ride would be necessary to top up the battery and get it going? Would it charge at all at idle?

I would appreciate any help. Thank you very much.
    Welcome !!!!!

Your bike isn't uncommon, all GS's are TSCC, twin swirl combustion chamber. http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_engine.htm

To answer some questions.

1. The airboxes can normally be found on ebay from time to time. Yes, there are two boxes. One is the airbox, the other is the airbox filter...box.

2. Yes and yes, if you haven't dipped and installed new o-rings, it should be done. http://www.cycleorings.com/ http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

3. Mikuini BS32SS

4. Not much of a charge at idle. The best thing to do is get it running well and check as per the stator papers. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm

Also..that engine is compatible with 750's from '80-82.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I see, for some reason I was under the impression that TSCC was the term used for the 4 valve heads, and I thought most GS's had two valve heads.

How many tuning headaches would I have if I ordered 4 k&n style filters rather than the stock airbox/filter box. They seem to be hard to find/expensive

Comment

i spent probably 3 months looking for an airbox for my 750 and came up empty handed i ended up just getting pod filters and a dj3 kit. good luck

Comment

with pods and the dj3 my bike was almost dead on just needed a little fine tuning. what kind of exhaust do you have? have you dont the coil relay mod?

Comment

I have the stock exhaust. As far as I know, no mods have been done to the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              Welcome !!!!!

Your bike isn't uncommon, all GS's are TSCC, twin swirl combustion chamber.
              Huh?

only the 80 and later 700/750/1100E/1150s and the late 550s plus the original Katana are TSCC (16 valve)

The majority of GSes are 8 valve motors, no TSCC

But, TSCC is not rare
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Welcome !!!!!

Your bike isn't uncommon, all GS's are TSCC, twin swirl combustion chamber. http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_engine.htm
                I see, for some reason I was under the impression that TSCC was the term used for the 4 valve heads, and I thought most GS's had two valve heads.
                Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Huh?

only the 80 and later 700/750/1100E/1150s and the late 550s plus the original Katana are TSCC (16 valve)

The majority of GSes are 8 valve motors, no TSCC

But, TSCC is not rare
                Even the link that LarryD posted says that the 16-valve engines were TSCC.

Big T is right, probably the overwhelming majority of the GSs were 8-valves and not TSCC, but starting in 1980 with the 750 and 1100, then later with the 550 and 700, they were increasingly common. Lots of guy here have them, so ask away.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also, does anyone have recommendations on pod filters. What ID do I need. (I would check myself but I'm at work and would like to order them today.)

Comment

Do you have either box ? I have an airbox that I'll sell you for a small nominal fee. It will need new boots. and some cleaning. You'll still need the air filter box that has the lid and sits under the seat and holds the filter...duh.... What model do you have..."L" or "E" ? I'm pretty sure it's the same boxes......

I just had both boxes on my watch list on ebay, the bidding is over for them though. They come up every few weeks.

Either configuration will work. Just depends on what you want.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Welcome !!!!!

To answer some questions.

1. Yes, there are two boxes. One is the airbox, the other is the airbox filter...box.
                      Huh? I don't want to confuse the issue here but...
                      I was under the impression theres one "airbox" and thats what your stock "round tubeular" airfilter went into. I've only seen the one on my `78 GS1000.
                      Whats the other one?

Comment

Wow....I guess I've caused some confusion.

I'll bow to Big T and Steve's knowledge about the TSCC, I still learn something here about everyday.

On my '81 GS750L there are two boxes. One that is the airbox that attaches to the carbs. The other is a filter box. Perhaps the confusion is I called it an air filter box. This filter box is attached to the rear of the airbox has a metal lid, houses the filter and sits under the seat.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. zero0zg,

There's a manual for your bike on my website for you to download. The manual is for an '83 but it's close enough for most tasks. In your "mega-welcome" you'll find help for your charging system and carburetors. Running without an airbox produces a very lean air/fuel mixture which is why your bike doesn't run right. The stock airbox works most conveniently but pod filters and a Dynojet kit can be made to function properly too, if less conveniently. Welcome to the forum. Here's my spiel....

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Also, does anyone have recommendations on pod filters. What ID do I need. (I would check myself but I'm at work and would like to order them today.)
                            Hi,

You can go with the cheap EMGO pods or the better K&N pods.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I mght have an air box. I'll check and post back.

Comment

Working...
                              X