Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'84 GS1100GK exhaust

Hello One and All,

This doesn't seem technical enough, but, here goes.

I'm going to re-installing my exhaust on the GK tonight...maybe tomorrow... and I'm looking for any little tips and tricks.

Is there a process to get it on ? I know to install it loosely and then tighten as a unit. I'll put some cardboard down as not to scuff or dent anything.

Does one part need to on before another ?

When I took it off, I just loosened everything and it kinda fell away from the bike. I'm guessing taking it off is easy, putting it back may be a bit more challenging.....stupid gravity.

Any suggestions will......help.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

From my memory of having done that a couple times; you seem to be thinking about the same thing I was. And that is how I did it. I did do it myself, but remeber thinking it would be a lot easier with another helper on the other side.

But, yah, like you were saying: Have exaust all together - loosly. In place under the bike. And then lift it up and, I say: get the exhaust pipes into the head first, then get the rear part in place.

About the only tip I can have for you is this: You know the bolts behind the rear foot peg that hold the rear of the exhaust? Get those bolts into the bracket first before trying to get the exhaust into place. Hard to hold all of the exhaust system in place and then also try to reach around find the bolts where ever they are laying and get them in place. So find those bolts first and get them somewhat in place.

Other tip: before tightning any bolts; see that the flanges can be postioned up to the head. I seem to partly remember that can get the exhaust into place, but have one of the flanges slid down on pipe to where it was under the engine and not easily get it back up to where it needs to go.

I will PM you my phone number, if you wqnt to call or ask for any specific photos of specific details, like how the rear peg, the bag bracket and muffler bracket all fit together.

Dave Redman
    Last edited by Redman; 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

When I put an exhaust system up, I try to line up the exhaust ports, then put them in place and lift the rear. I put the rear bolts in loosely, the fronts usually hang there quite well. I then make sure all the header pipes are lined up and snug them into place, then finally tighten the rear bolts.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Starting it up tomorrow

Thanks for the replys. With the help of my lovely assistant, we got the exhaust all snugged up. I need a right side heat shield and I had to make some of the clamps circular again, but, it went pretty smoothly.

Looks pretty good IMHO.

Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
        X