Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS550 rebuild, bigger gas tank possibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS550 rebuild, bigger gas tank possibility?

Hello everyone,

I had tried searching the forums but I have had no luck on finding a post about putting on a bigger gas tank on a 1981 GS550T. I dumped my bike in a no win situation for me or the bike and now I need to fix it. Nothing like seeing everyone else riding to get my butt in gear.

Anyways I was wondering what information anyone had on the subject. Also the stock one has a fairly good sized dent, it still holds gas but it is an eyesore. So I am open to the possibility of fixing the old one.

If you don't mind my indulgence I have a few more questions:

Where can I find comfortable grips? Stock ones aren't doing it for me

Can someone point me in the direction towards a post on spray can paint jobs? I can't find it anymore and I would love some new paint but I'm on a strict budget.

What would anyone think about adding a 16 tooth sprocket to the front end? The bike is geared really low and I'm getting low 40's for economy.

Where can I find replacement air filters? I would like to eliminate the plastic air box but I don't want to put on pods and have to rejet the carbs.

would an air filter like this work?

Thank you for your time and help,
    Hobbes

Proud owner of a slightly crippled 1981 GS550

Hi Mr. Hobbes,

Installing a different tank would require modification either to the tank mounts, the frame mounts, or both. It's possible for those with welding and fabrication skills.

That air filter you linked to will not fit your bike. You can get an air filter (and just about any other part) from any of the multitude of vendors listed in your mega-welcome. Shop around a little for the best price. I have a K&N and a Uni filter for my bike. I swap them so that I can clean one while using the other. I think you need a K&N SU-5500 air filter or similar.

Changing sprockets can lower your rpms at speed, but you will loose some acceleration and have to downshift more. It's a trade-off.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbes View Post
      Hello everyone,

I had tried searching the forums but I have had no luck on finding a post about putting on a bigger gas tank on a 1981 GS550T. I dumped my bike in a no win situation for me or the bike and now I need to fix it. Nothing like seeing everyone else riding to get my butt in gear.

Anyways I was wondering what information anyone had on the subject. Also the stock one has a fairly good sized dent, it still holds gas but it is an eyesore. So I am open to the possibility of fixing the old one.

If you don't mind my indulgence I have a few more questions:

Where can I find comfortable grips? Stock ones aren't doing it for me

Can someone point me in the direction towards a post on spray can paint jobs? I can't find it anymore and I would love some new paint but I'm on a strict budget.

What would anyone think about adding a 16 tooth sprocket to the front end? The bike is geared really low and I'm getting low 40's for economy.

Where can I find replacement air filters? I would like to eliminate the plastic air box but I don't want to put on pods and have to rejet the carbs.

would an air filter like this work?

Thank you for your time and help,
      Hobbes

Proud owner of a slightly crippled 1981 GS550
      Grips can be found several places. You could try Dennis Kirk, Motorcycle Superstore, Z-1 Enterprise, and several other on line shopping areas such as BassCliff has on his links on your mega welcome. As to your original post re: seat cover, I have a complete L seat with 2 year old cover for sale in the for sale threads, here's the shortcut: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=seat
      Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2010, 06:26 PM. Reason: Add clicky

Comment

Tank

I PM'd you about a tank that might just fit the bill.

Tommy

Comment

Working...
        X