1979 GS1000L Gear lubricant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000L Gear lubricant

Hi all.. I am confused. I have a Clymer and while tring to change the gear fluid, my gear case is different then the one pictued. I dont have a drain or fill plug. Is there a way to lube or is it a dry system? Safe Riding

Andy,

Welcome to GSR.

You refereing to the shaft rear gear drive unit? I think they are all the same 650G, 850L, 850L, 1100G, 1100L.
    So dont understand how can be different than the Clymer manaul.

Or are you refereing to the gear oil at rear of the engine - front for the drive shaft? And I think those are pretty much the same too.

Tell us more.
    Althought it is required that you post a picture of your bike before we can help you too much more.
    (joking)

Where you located?

Last edited by Redman; 03-25-2010, 06:56 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Oh, 1000L.
      One thousand. Not eleven hundred.

GS 1000 L 1979
      Seat Height: 825 mm (32.5 in)
      Wheelbase: 1 525 mm (60.0 in)
      Ground Clearance: 155 mm (6.1 in)
      Dry Weight: 240 kg (529 lbs)
      Engine type: Air-cooled 997 cc inline-4, DOHC, 8 valves. 90 ps (66 kW)/ 8.500 rpm, 8,0 kg-m/ 7.500 rpm.

Click on the image for larger format.
      Here's more Suzuki GS1000L info.

DOAH!
      79 1000L ... looks like a chain drive.

Dont know what to say.

Last edited by Redman; 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Miracle gs1000l that needs no gear lube..

WELL THANK YOU FOR THE WELCOME. I AM IN MASSAPEQUA NY, OUTSIDE 30 MILES NYC. THIS BIKE IS CHAIN DRIVE. I REMOVED THE SHIFTER, SIDE CASE AND THERE ARE NO PORTS OR OPENINGS TO ADD FLUID, I WAS READING BEFORE ON THE SITE THAT THERE ARE SOME, USUALLY SMALL CC TRANS THAT HAVE NO FLUID, I AM THINKING THE SAME. I HAVE THAT BIRDCAGE RATTLE AT IDLE, MAYBE ITS A REPLACEMENT TRANS? I DOUBT IT, THE BIKE IS ORIGINAL LIKE 79. NICE TO MEET YA. ANDY

Welcome to GSR.

You refereing to the shaft rear gear drive unit? I think they are all the same 650G, 850L, 850L, 1000G, 1000L, 1100G, 1100L.
        So dont understand how can be different than the Clymer manaul.

Or are you refereing to the gear oil at rear of the engine - front for the drive shaft? And I think those are pretty much the same too.

Tell us more.
        Althought it is required that you post a picture of your bike before we can help you too much more.
        (joking)

Where you located?

.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I am talking about the gearcase that the shifter comes out of.

Comment

THOSE DIagrams U SENT ARE COOL. JUST LIKE CLYMER. MY SIDE COVER IS DIFFERENT, LARGER AND THERE ARE NO LUBE DRAIN OF FILL HOLES. MAYBE I GET MY SAWZALL AND OPEN ONE UP?? LOL

Comment

Thats a nice looking bike redman.. I just sold my 86 honda aspencade last week. Smooth, wasnt even broken in had 32k.

Comment

Only the shaft drive bikes have a seperate gear oil supply. Chain drive bikes lube the transmission with engine oil.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. andybk,

You may have the standard "clutch rattle" that so many of these bike exhibit. It's usually not a big deal. Does it go away off idle? There are a couple of ways to fix the rattle. One is to replace the springs. Another is to add some washers to tighten them up. Here is a cheap way...

Quick Temporary Clutch Rattle Repair
                  - A pictorial guide by Mr. tkent02, PDF file (2MB)

If there's anything else you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

You guys are great

Thanks ed... Nice collection urself.. Reall appreciate it. This is a great site. Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X