Brake line union or none?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake line union or none?

Got my hands on some braided steel brake line sets for my GS1100E. One set has two lines that banjo bolt directly to the master from the calipers. The other has one line from the master to a union fitting then two lines to the calipers. Just wondering wich set would work better?

Hi,

Lots of folks use the two-line setup because there are fewer connections to worry about. I don't think there is much difference in performance. Did you get a double length banjo bolt for the master cylinder?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

i would say that unions are ok ..... not perfered but ok .... just stay away from the compression fittings for brake lines

Comment

If they are correctly manufactured and installed, performance will be the same.
        As Bass Cliff stated, the 2 line system is a bit simpler. I went with the 3 line system because I think it looks better and it retains the stock look.
        Whatever floats your boat.

Comment

Originally posted by cdnoel View Post
          Got my hands on some braided steel brake line sets for my GS1100E. One set has two lines that banjo bolt directly to the master from the calipers. The other has one line from the master to a union fitting then two lines to the calipers. Just wondering wich set would work better?
          I've used both and could not see any difference in performance ... only in the appearance.
          2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
          1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
          2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
          s)

Comment

I typically use a two line system, but put the double banjo on the left side caliper & run a short jumper (captured by the OEM brackets) to the right side caliper.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

The two line from the mastercylinder style is easier to bleed so typically it's what is used on racebikes.

Greg T

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks.

I have the banjo bolts for both sets so I can go either way. I may try to see if one of my longer lines fits on the back brake so I can get rid of that rubber line as well. I don't use it much but the rubber lines do suck.

Comment

I vote no
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi need some advice

I have been reading about having a single line to the caliper.

My AUS 650 has the setup in the pictures below at the front. I am not sure how best to change to stainless on these.

I think I will need seperate lines to each caliper and then seperate lines at each caliper side (left and right)

Comment

You are correct. The first picture is the union that some folk remove, and just run a line to each caliper from the master cylinder. This is the two line versus three line debate.
                      The second and third pictures show the anti-dive fork lines, which many people (myself included) no longer use. If you wish to retain this functionality, you will have to replace those lines as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X