Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Cylinder from each Coil Shutting Down!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Cylinder from each Coil Shutting Down!?

Hey Gang,
    At first glance I thought that
    02BLknBLU's thread was gonna answer my question. I think that I have a different problem though.

My bike had been running very well with the exception of some charging issues. Some trouble shooting led me to installing one of duaneages combo R&R units. That solved my charging issues and the bike ran great for a couple of days.

Yesterday as I was cruising around town, my cyl's 2 and 3 shut down on me. After a short time they fired back up. This issue continued intermittently until I got the bike home.

I believe that cyl's 2 and 3 run on separate coils, so it seems unlikely that it is a coil problem to me.

Any ideas?

actualy cyl 2 n 3 run on the same coil.....

Comment

Yep, 2 & 3 share the same electrics. Points, capacitor and coil need looking at by the sound of things.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

&%$#

Dang! I did NOT want to hear THAT! Put in a used Martek 440 last summer and it had been working fine...

Comment

Check for good clean connections on both the power and grounds. Likely it's NOT a failed component.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Something is heating up and failing Could be the coil or the ign pickups, Check the wiring first..
            Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks Everyone,
              looks like my rainy day Saturday project is all set now. That darn skunk tank cost me sooo much to get un-dented, painted and sealed, I hate to ever touch the thing.

I haven't looked yet but I presume that my shop manual has trouble shooting tips for the coils.

Comment

First thing is check for voltage at both coils, should be somewhere near battery voltage. If less than say 10.5 volts, it's time for the relay coil mod (check basscliff's site if you don't know what that is).
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Phaseman View Post
                  I haven't looked yet but I presume that my shop manual has trouble shooting tips for the coils.
                  Hi,

In addition to your manual, I've collected some tips from the gurus here:

Ignitor/Signal Generator/Coil Test

Testing The Ignition System

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Could be the 2/3 coil gets hot & then shorts out until it cools down a bit, then works until it heats up again - that would explain the intermittent spark... Chasing down intermittent electrical issues can be a pain, so make sure all the basics are covered (clean grounds, solid connections, etec...)

Like the others have said, check all connections. Are these stock coils? How are the plug caps? Good idea to replace them with some NGK ones to preclude issues with them.

Good luck
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                    X