replacing std. coils and leads with aftermarket types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing std. coils and leads with aftermarket types

i havespark on my 1980 gs1000e,, and my leads look like i cannot swap them over ,,they look they were joined in the factory,, is they a set of coils and leads that are not over the top or an overkill the i can replace my std . stuff with . ...also after i had cleaned the carbys and placed them beck on the bike being cv carbys .. would it have helped to dropp the clip from stanard 3rd from top to 4th from top .... finally i had trouble getting those iddy bitty st/st washers for the top of the needlesdoes anybody have 12 off spares i can use and paypal ? regards david ,,,most importantly thanks for your help

Originally posted by lesliew51@hotmail.com View Post
    i havespark on my 1980 gs1000e,, and my leads look like i cannot swap them over ,,they look they were joined in the factory,, is they a set of coils and leads that are not over the top or an overkill the i can replace my std . stuff with . ...also after i had cleaned the carbys and placed them beck on the bike being cv carbys .. would it have helped to dropp the clip from stanard 3rd from top to 4th from top .... finally i had trouble getting those iddy bitty st/st washers for the top of the needlesdoes anybody have 12 off spares i can use and paypal ? regards david ,,,most importantly thanks for your help
    By leads, do you mean the plug wires? You can actually pull them out of the coils and feed new wires in there. It's a little hassle, but not bad. You just need to carefully extract the old wires (like with a small pick) so as not to damage the male wire inside the coil. If the coils are good, this will save you some bucks.

I put the green Dyna S (3 ohm) coils on my 79 when I switched to the Dyna S electronic ignition. I think the coils are around $100.

I have only VM carbs, so I can't help you there.

Good luck!

Rick

Comment

You want 12 jet needle washers?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

As to your coils, if they produce good spark, then save your money. The ends go bad, trim them back and put on some new NGK spark plug caps.

Lots of members are still running their original coils

The Dyna and Accel coils will give you a better spark, but at what cost?

No doubt Chef will send you some washers, send him a PM with your address
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
        X